What does a man have to do to get a Tillotson fuel pump inlet to quit leaking?

Old 06-10-11, 06:24 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What does a man have to do to get a Tillotson fuel pump inlet to quit leaking?

I had no leaks, I pulled the carbs to clean them and I had a hard time getting the plastic inlet piece off of the carb, it was stuck. Once I reassembled them, I literally had to reassemble the inlet piece 15 times to get it to stop leaking. I bought a rebuild kit with all new gaskets after that and now it leaks again! I have had these things apart another 15 times and they still leak. It appears to be coming from around the blue plastic inlet. I have been assembling them and ball pumping the line.. maybe it won't leak when its running but obviously it would every time I started out.

The old gaskets were deformed with a step, obviously the new ones are still flat. I can tighten these things till I'm afraid they will break and it still leaks! The tollerances are real tight where the inlet sits on the fuel pump but you really can't screw it up. I have also tried swapping the inlets between the carbs and the leak is always the bottom carb. Nothing looks deformed, cracked or damaged.

Here is a parts breakdown with arrows to the parts.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-11-11, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just hope you haven't cracked the casing on the carb with all the tightening. I did that on an Aeromotive Racing lift pump on my diesel. Bummer. Looks like it is leaking from around the threads, but it is leaking just forward. When I removed the barbed nut, I could see where I messed it up. I guess "bigger hammer" didn't work too well.

Old 06-11-11, 02:24 PM
L
I was advised to file around the edges of the plastic piece as it was suggested that it had deformed over time. After numerous tries, replacing the screws, and adding a plastic washer, I think I finally got it. I think that I will order new replacements anyway, they're olny $5 each and I can use these till they come in.

Old 06-19-11, 06:38 AM
L
After a shake down cruise, they still leaked everywhere! I replaced them and so far they seem to be leak free. The shape of the new ones allow them to fit much better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: