1987 Bayliner Capri 2.3 liter Ford Engine problems? or outdrive problems?

Old 06-12-11, 07:23 PM
1987 Bayliner Capri 2.3 liter Ford Engine problems? or outdrive problems?

Hello everyone i have a 1987 bayliner capri with a 2.3 liter engine. This boat has not been ran in 6 years and uncle left the cover off and the engine cover as well, YEAH i know it's going to be some work. There was water in the Firing Chambers of the engine so i'm replacing the engine now. Ok now thats out of the way my problem when the boat ran out of water the engine with the rabbit ears it ran great but when we put it in the water it would bog down to 5mph at full throttle and the RPMs stayed low. I'm really not sure whats going on hopefully when i put this other engine in it may fix the problem but can anyone help me?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-11, 03:39 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Have you checked the timing?

While you have the engine out take a good look at the floor, hull and transom. I'd hate to hear that you worked so hard to put a new engine in a boat that had rotted plywood between the fiberglass. 6 years without a cover allows water to go where it shouldn't, and to be honest the 1987 Capri line wasn't the best built vessel on the water.

Old 06-13-11, 01:40 PM
Well I have not been able to check the timing since the engine doesn't run also about the floor I'm redoing it because it is rotted so I'm replacing that as well

Old 06-14-11, 02:24 AM
I guess I got a little confused when you said, "when the boat ran out of water the engine with the rabbit ears it ran great but when we put it in the water it would bog down to 5mph at full throttle and the RPMs stayed low." I read that as you got the engine running (but were replacing it anyways).

Old 06-14-11, 02:43 AM
Yeah I appreciate the help rick is there anything else you can think of that could be the problem?

Old 06-15-11, 04:04 AM
I think I'd wait until the new engine is installed. If you're using components from the old engine, pull the carb apart and soak the parts in Gumout for a couple of days. Make sure the jets are clear of debris. Buy a new gasket set and accelerator pump for it. Buy new plugs & plug wires. Replace the fuel filter, clean the flame arrestor, check the fuel pump, replace distributor cap & rotor and ignition parts.

When you have the flooring & engine out, tap the stringers & other hull components lightly with a hammer. Pay close attention to the sound, especially at the transom. If anything sounds hollow when you tap you may have rotted wood inside the fiberglass. You'll have to correct it or run the risk of the hull pulling apart. You didn't say which model you have, but the 16- to 19-foot Capri bowriders were notorious. I have seen several that hit waves too hard and split the hull at the bow.