Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Any ideas on making a trolling motor mount for an inflatable boat.

CAL

06-16-11, 12:49 PM   #1  
Any ideas on making a trolling motor mount for an inflatable boat.

Hi I have a intex seahawk 400 inflatable boat and i just bought a trolling motor for it. I was searching for a mount but it looks like the one for my boat (which is a very old model) is out of stock.

I want to build one myself as it looks like a simple alluminium tube with a wood board.
Following is what it looks like (not sure if this will showup)

Any ideas/pointers on what type of aluminium tube i could use or any thing else i could buy and rework to get this done.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
-Kal

Sponsored Links

NY

06-17-11, 02:56 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

7/8" OD anodized aluminum tubing (drawn, not extruded) is the material you're looking for. You may have to take it to a machine shop & have them put the bends in it. If you try to bend it yourself you could kink it, making it useless.

3/4" marine plywood for the board. Seal the board with epoxy resin and caulk the bolt holes.

CAL

06-17-11, 10:13 PM   #3  
Thanks Rick for the detailed instructions.
I will look for this 7/8" tubing in the homedepot tomorrow.

Thanks
Kal

CAL

06-19-11, 01:07 AM   #4  
Hi Rick one more (probably silly) question.

The boat has a holder for motor mount and the hole is about 1/2" so i figured i will need a 1/2 in tube. I could not find a 1/2" aluminium tube at home depot - I found electrical conduit (EMT) and water piping. I was told at HD that the conduit can also be bent fairly easily to the desired shape. So my basic question is - Is there any drawback in using the conduit? The water piping seemed too heavy.

I will be using only a 30LB thrust trolling motor.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and guidance.

Thanks
Kal

NY

06-20-11, 03:21 AM   #5  
EMT is galvanized, and anywhere you compromise that coating it will rust in a hurry. Also, it's not supposed to be used for structural support.

Will this work? Intex Motor Mount Kit | Engine Boat Parts Reviews Discount and Best Price

I would call them and ask if you're not sure. Their return policy only covers defective materials.

CAL

06-20-11, 02:13 PM   #6  
Hi Rick,
The link you sent would work for 2005 and later versions. The boat i have is probably 2002. Another website has an adapter that plugs into the newer version and the total cost is $70 + $15 shipping

It seems way too much (considering the motor is only $99 ) for something i will be using probably twice an year

The only difference between the older and newer versions is the length of the rod and the "U" at the end - I am guessing the U is to hook into the hole used for rows.

Finding an aluminium tube turned out way harder than i thought I went around to all hardware stores in the area (HD, Lowes, OSH, ACE etc.) with no success.

Thanks
Kal

Search this Thread