Speedometer???

Old 07-07-11, 11:23 AM
Speedometer???

The speedometer didn't work yesterday on my 2000 Tracker Deep V aluminum. It was dead on accurate when it worked, but yesterday it sat on zero and finally moved up to about 10 mph when I was doing about 30. Any clues where to start looking??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-11, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
No boat guy...but don't most of these use a vane that spins in the water...or something like a pitot (?) tube like aircraft?

I'd check that and lube the cable I would think.....

Old 07-07-11, 02:23 PM
Some have a water wheel sticking out the back, some have a little hole on the leading edge of the lower unit on the motor. That little hole lets water in and up into the power head thru a tube. Maybe its clogged? That hole is tiny and you wouldn't know it was there unless you're looking for it.

Old 07-07-11, 07:17 PM
Yep I too would check the tubing feeding the speedometer. It may have gotten loosened a bit or plugged up.

Old 07-09-11, 10:50 AM
Thanks Guys

I have had the water wheel arrangement on another boat, but this one has nothing visable anywhere, so it must be on the engine. It is a 1997 60hp Merc. I''ll go look for it. This makes sense because when I beach the boat I sometimes lower the engine and stick in in the mud to anchor it while I retrieve the trailer. Maybe not very smart.

Old 07-10-11, 04:41 AM
Sticking it in the mud probably clogged it -- it's a small hole just above the gearcase. Mud could also clog the water intake, and then you'd have expensive repairs. Running as little as 10 seconds without water could damage the impeller.

Old 08-02-11, 01:07 PM
I finally fixed it

Compressed air blown back thru both the speedo pitot and my engine cooling pee hole made both work perfectly again. Thanks for your help. I have quit sticking the skeg in the mud to pin the boat.

Old 08-02-11, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the update!

You may want to replace the raw water pump's impeller the next time you're doing maintenance. If it's sucked mud it's probably ready. A worn impeller is the most common cause of engine overheating and it's a relatively cheap DIY repair.