Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stereo speakers not working

NJ

08-05-11, 09:28 AM   #1  
Stereo speakers not working

I have a sony stereo on my boat, with 6 bose speakers. 5 of the speakers are currently not working. Not so long ago, I had some battery issues, and blew some fuses, including the fuse on the stereo. I've since replace the stereo fuse and the stereo is working. I'm not sure if the speakers stopped working at that time or it could have been some time after.

Ive done the simple things like playing around with the balance and fade features on the stereo so I know thats not it. I've also traced the speaker wires and checked the connections at the speaker and stereo ends and all looks good there, no corrosion etc. So I'm thinking its the speakers or the stereo but don't know how to check/test to tell for sure. How can I go about testing to diagnose the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

08-05-11, 09:41 AM   #2  
Take one of the speakers that isn't working and replace the one that is working. If it still doesn't work...it's the speakers (doubtful)...if it works then you've probably blown the amps in the stereo. Probably cheaper to buy a new stereo than for try and get it repaired....

I doubt there are any sort of internal fuses...but it's possible.

Oh...one thing....how are the speakers wired? Do they each have their own run directly from the stereo...or do 4 of them operate together and the other 2 are separate?

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NJ

08-06-11, 04:37 AM   #3  
Vic

I'll try switching out the 1 speaker today. Something so simple and I didnt think of it. The stereo is designed for 4 speakers, so 2 sets of speakers are wired together and the other set are on their own. I think that is what you are asking, yes.

Search this Thread