Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

trim/tilt 1982 johnson outboard

IN

08-12-11, 08:20 PM   #1  
trim/tilt 1982 johnson outboard

The problem: My rods are halfway out and my rocker switch gets no reaction at all. I know the battery is good. I couldn't find a new rocker switch like mine at the boat store, but I tried another one that I got at an auto store just to see if it was the switch. The new switch lighted up, but the engine did nothing. I know the engine runs. Could it be that the tilt/trim motor is burned out?
Here is what I suspect may have caused this. I took my boat to have the starter repaired. The shop called me and said that they were having trouble with my trim/tilt constantly going up and down on its own. This happened one other time several years ago. The aread where the wires go to the battery and the fuse box had gotten wet and was shorting it out. I unhooked the battery and let it dry out and never had a problem since. I told them that. I suspect this is what happened. It rained really the night of the day that I took it in. I know it was out in the rain and got soaked. For all I know, the engine could have been going up and down all weekend.
So, I need an opinion for what might be the problem. If it is the motor, is that hard to replace? could I do it myself, or is it best to take it to a shop?

Sponsored Links

NY

08-13-11, 07:06 AM   #2  
Have a look at this parts list and pay close attention to the three subassemblies at the top of the drawing.

A shorted wire usually means the insulation has been worn away. Combined with moisture it can cause corrosion that will eventually eat through the wire and stop it from carrying current. Also, the marina may have disconnected something to stop it from moving on its own.

IN

08-13-11, 09:03 AM   #3  
Thank you for your reply. I have looked at my wiring, and this is what I have found: There are two wires that come out of the top of the tilt/trim motor. One is thicker than the other. The thicker one goes into the fuse box. When it gets to the fuse box, the black coating is cut back to reveal a green wire and a black wire. The fuse box has two small black box shaped gadgets that have a plug-like thing in the top that the wires go into. The blue wire from the trim/tilt goes to one box, and the green to the other. The wires from the rocker switch also run into these two plugs. there is a green wire, a blue wire and a red wire coming in on that line. Some wires from the plug are attached to screws that run across the top of the fuse box. and there is a black wire that both ends are attached to the top of the plug.

Now, the other wire from the trim/tilt has a two prong clip at the end that isn't attached to anything. I am pretty sure it has been that way since I bought the boat 20 years ago.

The boat is very simple, not much on it, just lights and trim/tilt and engine hooked into fuse box and battery. Everything works except for the tilt/trim.

Does this additional detail help? I don't think anything has been disconnected. What do you think about the wiring? What do I look at, how do I check it?

Thanks for your time and expertise

IN

08-13-11, 09:06 AM   #4  
CORRECTION:

The wires from the engine do NOT run into these boxes with plugs. Just wires from the tilt/trim motor and from the rocker switch. From the rocker switch, there is a blue, green and red wire. They run into the top of the plugs. Some wires from the top of the plugs attach to screws that run across the top of the fuse box. Also, there is a black wire that loops with both ends running into the top of the plug.

NY

08-14-11, 08:15 AM   #5  
Those little boxes are relays (not shown on the drawing). One raises and the other lowers. Unplug them and swap them. If the motor is all the way down and it's relay is bad, swapping them should raise the motor. If both relays are bad or they aren't getting power, nothing will happen.

At that point it will be time to pull out the multimeter and see if there's power anywhere.

Still, there has to be an issue with the wiring for it to have moved by itself.

IN

08-14-11, 04:32 PM   #6  
I dug into the wiring a bit further. I pulled the switches/relays to disconnect the plug at the top. I see that the plug just holds blade connectors for each wire. That is simple. I also found that one of them had evidence of being very hot. The plastic had melted a bit on the backside of the relay, and the plastic around the blade connectors was contorted as well. This looks like a good place to start. So I think I will get two new switches/relays. Do you think I might get lucky and find that this fixes the problem?

NY

08-15-11, 03:21 AM   #7  
Good detective work! If the relay socket is burned as well it will also have to be replaced.

Search this Thread