Winterize Houseboat Drive Motor

Old 01-05-01, 08:49 PM
I bought a 16X60 houseboat shell 2 years ago and have since completed the inside living space. Needless to say, I am fairly handy DIY'er; however, I don't know diddley about motors.

I had the houseboat shell manufacturer install the drive motor (3.0L Merc) and have little information on how to winterize it. Back yard mechanic, friends have told me to do anything from "just pull the freeze plugs and drain the water" to "pull the freeze plugs and then pour antifreeze in each hose after you disconnect it".

This boat stays in the water year around (in KY w/normal winter low ~20 deg. F). We like to use it several times during the winter (there's definitely no crowd, and the snow covered shore adds a new dimension to boating), so I go through the "pour antifreeze in the hoses" method each time.

Can anyone give tell me for sure if just draining the freeze plugs is good enough? I don't want to sound like a whimp, but handleing wet hoses with bare hands in ~20 degree weather isn't much fun.

Or are there any other suggestions on how to speed up the winterization?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-01, 12:57 PM
You have been given good advice. The engine block and
manifold need to be drained and if possible refilled, at least partially, with propelyne glycol. (Organic antifreeze)
Sorry about the frigid digits!
I want to make sure you are also adressing the stern drive.
It is also suggested that you can run the engine in a tub of the mix therby avoiding all the disassembly.
This will get the water in the intake ports of the drive and the weter pump safely winterized as well.
Make sure the tub is deep enough to cover the drive above the ventilation plate not just the intake ports.
Scott