Caruberater settingon 1958 gale

Old 08-28-11, 04:46 PM
Caruberater settingon 1958 gale

I was given a 1958 15 Hp Gale there where a few broken parts which I was Able to fix
the Engine started but ran hot as the water pump was not working and the temp of the colling reached 200 degrees ferenith and the engine stalled
I installed a new water pump kit now it Starts bot only runs for short perit
I would like to know how to adjust the hi speed jet in to bottom then open how many turn also low speed jet

thanks for any help

Petrie

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-11, 07:56 AM
On some of the old OMC motors (Evinrude, and Elto) I had, I can remember both being 1.5 to 2 turns out as a start point before fine tuning the adjustments. Perhaps that old Gale is similar.

Old 08-29-11, 03:08 PM
Thanks Equinox
I will start there later tonight or early in the morning will let you know the results

Petrie

Old 08-30-11, 05:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Equinox on the initial settings. I remember my old 1955 Johnson 10 hp. Cranked every time I told it to. I do remember I had to remove the stops in order to gain the initial setting. Then once it settled down, I could return the stops to a mid point and have some adjustment left. Not sure if yours has them or not.
People at the local OMC school offered me $500 for it one time in trade for a new motor.....new motor at $2k, give me a break. I kept my old one.

Old 08-31-11, 05:19 PM
Set it at 2turns pulled starter coard about 10 times didnot fire bought new plugs installed them engine fired on 1st pull engine runs fine will put it on a john boat on sat see how it hanleds on the water

Thanks again for all your advise
petrie

Old 08-31-11, 08:09 PM
Sounds like everything is now falling into place. You may find that you will need to lean it a little at high speed under load, but that is also normal. Good luck.