I just added side bunks, will they be strong enough to work with the frame flex?

Old 09-01-11, 05:48 PM
I just added side bunks, will they be strong enough to work with the frame flex?

I bought a set of 5' Overton side bunks, nice quality, installed them today. I have a Tee Nee trailer, maybe it should be called Chee Pee. With the bunks installed as close to the axle set as possible, I still get deflection of the frame when the bunks are pulled on. I mounted as close to the axle as possible in order to be as close to a cross brace as I could be. Is this something to worry about or should I strengthen it somehow? Should I consider connecting them side to side somehow?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-11, 12:54 PM
Here's a thought ... what if I buy some galvanized black iron pipe, probably an 1" diameter, cut it to the lengh of the distance between the end of the uprights plus the inside straight distance on each side? I would have to remove 1 upright on each side to slide it in, it could never fall out. I would bet that the pipe could slide in at least 12" on each side. That would put it under the frame and well below the rollers. If the uprights for the bunks tried to torque, it would transfered that torque into the black iron pipe which is connected to the other side instead of the flimsy frame. What do you think?

Old 09-02-11, 01:53 PM
Sounds like it could work, but if you really need to strengthen the frame get some stock, cut it to length and get friendly with someone who knows how to weld.

Is the axle on this trailer rated for the boat weight? That would be my biggest concern. Frames can be modified for additional strength, but if the axle, bearings and wheels aren't rated you could be in for a long day on the shoulder of the interstate.

Old 09-02-11, 02:47 PM
The trailer was bought with the boat, I would say that it is appropriate. It works fine with the boat but I'm guessing not designed for side bunks.

Obviously boxing the frame or adding some steel would work, but it would burn off all of the pretty paint that I laid on it

Old 09-03-11, 01:08 PM
UPDATE: I looked at black iron pipe, a 1.25" black iron pipe will fit inside of the square tube uprights, but of course some day soon it will look like a rust ball. I happened across a square wolmanized ballaster, probably called a 2 x 2 but its finished size is EXACTLY the inside diameter of the square tubes. I cut it to length and slid it in the tubes, the strength is increased dramatically with NO frame twist! I may have just solved my problem. It does exactly what I had hoped, transfers the downward torque into the now wooded cross brace and the frame holds true. The downward torque is now upward torque in the center of the wood. As long as the wood doesn's get all warpy and twisty, this may just work!

Old 09-04-11, 02:25 PM
UPDATE 2: launched for the first time today, they worked great! My only issue was that one bunk rotated a little and might need tightened. The boat went right on the trailer though, but I think that I'm backing my trailer in too far. The side bunks were above the side rib of the boat and the rear of them were at water level. Backing in less may allow me to get an additional roller or two.