What adhesive to use?

Old 03-29-12, 08:15 PM
DLH
What adhesive to use?

I have an open aluminum boat that I built a mount for my 6 gallon gas tank. It consists of 2 medal straps, one each attached to a transom brace and running forward over a couple of the boat ribs. On top of the straps I have a board with a bracket that holds the tank in place. At the front end of each strap I have a thick Nylon block that rides on the floor and keeps the straps off the ribs. Here my problem. Sand gets under the nylon blocks and acts like sandpaper on the aluminum hull. This is what I plan to do. Im going to make a couple of sacrificial plates and glue them to the floor for the nylon blocks to ride on. I would like to leave a layer of glue about 1/8 thick between the hull and plate so that the plate itself does not damage the hull as the hull flexes. What I need advice on is what adhesive should I use. I dont think epoxy would work because the hull flexes so much. Ive seen 3M 5200 mention on this site. Would that work?

Don H

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-12, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
Not sure I exactly understand but I will suggest that as much as I am not a huge fan of silicone it remains flexible when dry and can be immersed in water.

I customized my plain 16'Tracker open fishing boat and could have some more suggestions on mounting your tank.
Some clear pics posted on a site like photo bucket with links would help.

Old 03-30-12, 06:10 AM
DLH
I�ll try to describe my situation better. Picture this. I have a piece of flat steel two inches wide and 18 inches long. With one end of the strap attached to a transom brace, the other end extends forward towards the bow just above the boat ribs. To keep the strap off the ribs I�ve attached a nylon block to the front end of the strap so that the nylon block rests on the aluminum hull. Remember this is an open aluminum fishing boat with the hull being the floor. As the boat moves and the hull flexes the nylon pad rubs on the hull. That would be fine except that sand gets under the nylon block and sticks to the softer nylon. The sand then starts to wear on the hull. What I want to do is add a piece of aluminum plate to the hull so that the nylon block and any sand that it collects rubs on that and not the hull. I don�t think epoxy would work because the hull flexes a lot. What I need is something that will flex with the hull but will still hold the plate in place. Also, because I don�t want the plate itself to rub against the hull I plan to leave about a 1/8 inch layer of adhesive between the plate and the hull. Now picture a second strap just like the first with a board between the two and the gas tank sitting on top.

Not sure what photo bucket is but if this doesn't help I guess I'll have to find out.

Don H

Old 03-30-12, 09:14 AM
DLH
I think I've answered my own question. I did some research on 3M 5200. It looks to be exactly what I was looking for. The description I read said that it allows for some movement such as the hull of my boat flexing and can be applied an 1/8 inch thick which is what I want to do.

Thanks for your help.

Don H

Search this Thread