New boat not starting

Old 04-18-12, 01:06 AM
New boat not starting

Hi everyone I bought a bayliner Capri as a project or non runner have ended up spending money before I've even got to the boat as on way home from collecting it the wheel bearing collapsed, & I had to get the aa to lift it off motorway & bring it home, was nt amused! But sure, anyway tried to start it charged the battery & the solenoid seems to be making a clicking sound but nothing else so thought may be dud cell in battery so put jump leads on terminals & used diesel van to try to jump it, but nothin the same clicking sound coming from engine & that was it, now no electrics work , we're as before the nav lights speedo fuel gage etc all were coming on , I know I'll have to check fuses & have nt done that yet , but back to the battery solenoid & starter I checked all with circuit tester & there was power going to all! I'm confused, any luvely technician people any advice ? Plze

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-12, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know anything about boats but the 1st thing I'd check would be all the connections. Remove, clean and reattach each end of the battery cables. I'd also put a load test on the battery to see if it's any good. If you don't have a battery tester you can remove it and take it to most any parts store and they'll test it for you. If all that is good, I'd remove and test the starter.

Old 04-19-12, 05:41 AM
Not starting

What is the make, model, and year of the vessel?

First, I am not a marine engine mechanic. Just a life long boater that has had my share of vessels not starting on me.

Check the battery first? Lead acid, AGM, or Gel Cell? Are the terminals clean, if not clean them with baking soda and stiff whisker brush or terminal brush. Same with the battery connection wire ends? You would be suprised to see the amp loss from poor connections. This often results in NO START situations.
Check all the fuses / breakers in the power panel. Is the cap on the end of the solenoid tightly and not corroded? With the cap off and a inch away, do you get a spark or arc?
Make sure the starter terminals are tight not corroded as well. Can you hear the start spin up? If you have power to the starter and it is not spining when you turn the key, tap it with a wrench a couple of times, it could be seizing up from sitting. If not I would suspect the starter is bad. Is there any heaving or grating sound that tells you the starter is turning the crankshaft? If so, are the spark plugs fowled? If the vessel has sat for some time it might not be a bad idea to change them out along with the plug wires. Is the distributer cap on tight? Is the distributer timing set correctly? If these are good, are you getting fuel? There are several things to check at this point. So lets make it the plugs firing first and eliminate the electrical side before moving to the fuel and combustion side.

I recommend that you get a Seloc Manuel for this vessel. Every boat owner should have one and it will walk you through most jobs and provide you with schematics and everything else you need to know.
Seloc Marine Engine Repair Manuals - Seloc Manuals

Let me know if this helps, I have a few more ideas if needed.

Charles Spangler
USCG Licensed Master

Old 04-20-12, 02:11 PM
boat not starting

thanks for your reply & advice !! its a bayliner capri with 85hp force outboard 1990 i think
i just put a new battery in her the batt was dead but still nothing just makes a click when i turn her over, i have tried putting jump leads direct to starter the other day & it turned over but never started now the starter does nt seem to be engaging properly in the big flywheel type thing that runs the cylinders some one said the starter is working but theres a little clutch type engager on top of starter that is nt working or engaging . Regarding your advice about terminals could be right on ill have to try all that as it all seems electrical! ill try your proceedure to see what happens thanks dude

Old 04-20-12, 02:33 PM
Hi its a bayliner capri 1990 with 85hp force engine its a US made import, i live in N Ireland Charles, just put a new battery in it today still just clicks at solinoid when i turn key, i checked fuses & connections i then put jump leads direct to starter it turned over but never started then second time the starter motor spun around but little gear wheel cog type thing seemed to not engage properly & struggled to turn crankshaft do you think may be i have a faulty starter & solinoid? i bought this boat as a non runner project as the dealer was going bust (got it cheap) weird how needed to put jump leads direct to starter the only other thing between the battery & starter is the solinoid is nt it charles? thanks Nealo

Old 04-21-12, 10:19 AM
Additional Info

Hi Nealo,

Send me your "HIN" Hull Id Number" and then look on your flame arrestor cover, there should be three sets of numbers. One for the engine, one for the drive, one for the transom. Send me these numbers as well. I want to do some research on your boat and enlist a pro to give us a hand here. My friend George is one of the top engine mechanics around this area. I'm gonna see if I can get him on this forum to give you a hand. I have NEVER seen anything he could not fix!!! The man is great!

Personally I would check the continuity of the wires to make sure there is not a open between the battery and solenoid and the starter. Then read the resistance to make sure it is not extremely high which would tell you that the wires are corroded. If good, I would then change the solenoid and starter out.
Doing so one at a time, so you know which was causing the issue and then return the other or keep it as a spare part.

Let me get off of here and call George and get him involved here. Well get you up and running.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-21-12 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Email not allowed.
Old 04-21-12, 12:53 PM
thanks charles

Hi charles thanks for your help ill get the numbers tomorrow, speak then thanks, Nealo

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-21-12 at 02:25 PM.