Tank cleaning

Old 04-29-12, 05:28 PM
Tank cleaning

I have 7 Hp ted willimas air cooled outboard the gas tank is rusted in side does anyone know if there any way to clean it

petrie

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-12, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Best way I have cleaned gas tanks of rust was to use Purple Power and a small, very small link piece of chain. Pour in the Purple power, add the chain and shake rattle and roll! You'll be surprised how clean it can get. Of course you'll have to take the tank off the engine if it is integral to it.

Old 04-30-12, 05:16 AM
It is a integral part but I will take it off
If you could inform me where to get the purple power
This information would be greatfully apericated

Petrie

Old 04-30-12, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Purple Power is just one brand of concentrated cleaner. I think Simple Green is also similar. You can get it from some home centers and most auto parts stores. It is very concentrated so don't work with it with bare hands (you will eventually get mild alkali burns).

Before cleaning a fuel tank you want to make absolutely there is no fuel and no vapor remaining inside the tank. I wash it out with water then let it set in the sun with the cap off. When I no longer smell gas inside then I go to work. If you have a pressure washer it can remove rust & dirt from the inside bottom but is not so great if the top inside is rusted or if the tank has a complex shape. I've also dumped in nuts & bolts and even rocks and shaken for a long time to clean up the inside.

Old 05-02-12, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the info I will check with with my local Auto Parts Stores

Thanks again
Petrie