Starter keeps going out!

Old 06-16-12, 05:57 PM
Starter keeps going out!

I have a 2004 Bayliner 175 w/ a 3.0 Mericrusier motor I have had to replace the starter 3 times within the last month. what is causing the starter to go out like this?..I'm stumped to the problem!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-12, 09:43 PM
What is the problem when you say it goes out? Is the starter not turning at all? Is it turning but not engaging the flywheel? Is it engaging the flywheel but wearing the teeth off the starter? i think I would need more details about the problem before I can help fix it.

Old 06-17-12, 05:08 AM
It is just spinning doesn't sound like its engaging the fly wheel. when you turn the key on to start it it just spins. None of the teeth are bad on it or the fly wheel as far as I can tell. took starter off had it tested and it was engaging at autozone. put it back on and it just spins..this has happened 3 times now. but when I put a new one on it starts it right up.

Old 06-17-12, 11:14 PM
Were there shims between the starter and engine, under the bolts the first time you took it off? Sounds like the Bendix is either not extending or not reaching the flywheel. Some of those starters had 2 different lengths of bolt. Is that the case with yours? One bolt shorter than the other? Also if the bolts are not torqued correctly they get loose and cause this kind of problem. When they tested it at the store did the Bendix come out? Maybe you should buy new bolts for the starter in case the old ones are stretched and weak. Also be sure the battery is fully charged so you are getting full voltage to the starter. Check the grounding wire to be sure it is clean and tight, too.

Old 06-18-12, 03:34 AM
Also, DO NOT over tighten the bolts. They snap easily.

Search this Thread