1986 Volvo Exhaust Question

Old 06-25-12, 10:17 AM
1986 Volvo Exhaust Question

Hi All

I have a '86 Bayliner/Volvo 270 outdrive. The question is the two small rubber hoses [bends] finally rotted out, and ai am wondering if I need them at all. When the boat was delivered new, the hoses were tucked behind the middle gear case for s couple of years untill I realized that they should be routed through two holes in the outdrive frame. Now 26 yrs later I am going to have to replace them, but it means that the moter has to come out and the outdrive bracket taken off th get at them. The question begs are they absolutely necessary. Other drives dont have this type of thing. I am considerating just putting regular boat plugs in the holes, and removing them in the winter to drain what little water remains on the two ports. They seem to be there for idling periods. I intend to replace the bends the next time I pull the engine [it's original]. I thank you in advance.
Sid

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-12, 03:50 AM
I don't know the answer to that. May I suggest that you post your question in the forum at The Hull Truth?

The Hull Truth is a sister forum run by the same company that runs this one.

Old 07-15-12, 03:16 PM
The Volvo exhaust

I more or less figured it out myself. The rubber bends [hoses] a re removable from the transom [outside] of the boat. I took a chance, and removed them from the out drive, and found that they pop in and out with a little finness. I thank you Rick Johnson for your efforts and concern. Not that many folks have a boat for 26 years.
Sid

Old 07-16-12, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the update. For the record, I owned a 1986 Four Winns 19-footer for 20 years, a 1983 26-foot Larson for two, and I now own a 32-foot 1987 Carver.