Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

won't go forward

AZ

07-14-12, 04:04 PM   #1  
won't go forward

1994 bayliner capri 19' boat w/3.0 mercruiser engine/outdrive. When shifted into forward and throttle is applied, the engine will gain about 200 rpm and then die. When in reverse every thing works fine. Boat has approx 225 hours on meter and ran great four years ago before storage. please help, thank you, skip

Sponsored Links

CAL

07-14-12, 08:37 PM   #2  
Do you have a throttle/shifter in one handle or separate.

If one handle, seems adjustment might be off in the forward position. My throttle/shifter handle is a one piece unit and when I shift to forward, the boat will creep forward slowly up to about the half way point on the forward position. Once past the halfway point, it takes off like a banshee. If I keep it less than half way forward, the motor does seem to want to stumble so have to find that sweet spot to keep it alive.

Maybe ask your question on a Bayliner forum.

NY

07-16-12, 03:49 AM   #3  
There is an engine kill switch that cuts power to the engine to lower the torque on the clutch during shifting. If the cable is out of adjustment it can kill the engine after the shift takes place.

Search this Thread