Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Recommended glue?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-22-01, 05:34 AM   #1  
Hi all,

A strange question, but bear with me....

I build Radio controlled model boats as a hobby, and I'm just completing a radio controlled hovercraft. But I need a glue that I can attach the skirt with....

The glue MUST stick nylon (the skirt material) to wood (marine plywood), and it MUST be fully waterproof.

Does anyone know of a suitable glue that will stick these materials permanently? I've tried epoxy and contact adhesives without success.... The epoxy wont stick to the nylon very easily, and the contact adhesive doesn't give a very strong bond - The contact area of the skirt is only 1/2" wide.

ANY help would be appreciated!

Regards
Eddy

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-23-01, 06:00 PM   #2  
Loomisman
Hi. Was wondering if silicone would work for this application. It is surely waterproof. 3M makes a marine silicone (5300 or something like that) that I've used on my boat. Wal Mart carries it. It is the best stuff I've ever seen. Real tough. Hope this helps and good luck...Loomisman

01-23-01, 08:35 PM   #3  
Yes those big brains in minnesota have a lot of sticky stuff.
3M 5200 sealer is very good at making a watertight bond
it is however almost permenant and takes 5 to 7 days to fully cure.
3M window trim adhesive, (bellows adhesive and sealer 1000
all have the same properties) will stick fast and set watertight. I think if you get it down in the weave it will give you a good bond. You will have to prep the wood. It wont stick to bare wood.
good luck. scott

TX

01-28-01, 06:09 AM   #4  
Have you tried the products by "GOOP"? I use Marine"Goop" to hold rubber bumpers to jetskis. It holds up to the demands of the pounding surf of off-shore PWC endurance races here in Texas. I also used it to hold my rearview mirror on the windshield of my truck, and the slide latch on the rear window. It's been holding since `95 and hasn't fallen off like the OEM glue did within 2 years.

Search this Thread