1976 evenrude willstaet dut wiilstallwithin 15 seconds

Old 07-18-12, 01:16 PM
1976 evenrude will start but only run for about 15 seconds

0n this one I buggered up
My friend droped his 9.9 Evenrude model 10625H in the lake I told him to bring it to me so I would clean it for him
when I removed the cover the in sides had lots of sand I hosed the insides down to get rid of the sand removed the plugs and cranked the engine over sprayed the inside with eazy store easy start pulled off the carburator that when I goofed
when I took a carburator apart to get the water & sand out I removed the orifice plug and under that was another shaft that a slot for a screw driver I tried to remove this part and I broke it
I got a used one from part dealer who said that it would work the body is the same as the old one the only diferance is the orifice is in the tube and there is on plug
I can get the engine to fire but it will only run for about 15 seconds it will start again in about 2 pulls
?????did I get taken on the Carburator or did I not do a good cleaning on a motor that was droped in the lake
petrie

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 07-19-12 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Tried to fix the garbled title line, no luck.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-12, 04:36 AM
Does it continue to run if you pump the primer?

Old 07-19-12, 05:22 AM
HI Rick
No it still stalls out
It has the old cork float in the carburator that has a little up & down play where it is attached to the float

Old 07-20-12, 05:31 AM
If the engine was running when it went swimming there could be a whole lot more wrong. What was the result of the compression check on the cylinders?

The replacement carb should work, but it may require some more TLC. Have you adjusted the float so the float valve is opening?

Other stuff:
Did you change the fuel filter? Check the fuel pump? Make sure you're using fresh gas? Try messing with the "slow" adjustment?

Old 07-20-12, 05:56 AM
Hi Rick
Thanks for the comment about the carb.
I did the blow test on the float it opens and closes
To my noledge there is no fuel filter on this motor
I did not check the fule pump because with the fuel disconected from the carb when I pumped the bulb from the gas tank I had gas flow through the gas line but over the weekend I will test it by disconecting it from the carb and pulling on the starter cord to make shore the pump is working
The compression was 92 PSI top 94 PSI lower cylinder
These went up at 30 psi on each of the first 3 pulls of the starter then remained at there levels on the next 3 pulls
Thanks again for your input
Petrie