starter problems

Old 08-25-12, 04:34 AM
starter problems

i had my 78 mercruiser out last week when i started it the starter never disengaged from the the flywheel so i burned it up now that i put a new one in it i dont have anything such as the ignition dont work none of the dash lights dont work none of the electrical stuff dont work when i jump the starter from the soleniod it will turn the motor over by the way it is an inboard out board 305 mercruiser can someone lead me in the rite direction

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-12, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds like maybe a failed fusible link. Going to take some detective work with a multimeter.

Old 08-25-12, 02:11 PM
i replaced the starter relay solenoid now i have the problem that when i hooked everything up i turn the switch to 1 on the battery the starter engages i traced the little wire back that comes off the relay it goes into the big plug but it has power to it even when the key is off

Old 08-26-12, 05:35 AM
after lookin at it for a little while i found out that the plug on the wiring harness has power in the red whire on the side that is mounted to the motor the other side doesnt have any power now the red one is the only one that has power in it until i put them together now i have power thru the plug but the solenoid wire which comes out of the plug on the same side as the red one now has direct power to the solenoid which wants to kick the solenoid in and the starter in i dont n o much about elec but something is tellin me there is a short somewhere can someone throw something at me mayb im overlookin something again

Old 08-26-12, 07:15 AM
There is a possibility that the solenoid ("starter") wire has shorted to the main power. I would check it at the ignition switch end. Disconnect the start wire from the ignition switch and see if there's voltage between it and ground. If so you have a short in the wiring or harness. If not you may have a bad switch. This could also explain why the original problem happened (starter not disengaging from flywheel).

Old 08-26-12, 12:58 PM
i did find the problem it was in the plug under the dash for reason it over heated and the ignition wire must have fused together with the hot wire what i did was cut the ignition wire before the plug and hooked it up to the switch do i need to worry about that since every thing seems to work fine the plug gets warm but it doesnt get hot can i buy just that plug or do i need to buy the harness

Old 08-27-12, 04:39 AM
Yes you can buy just the spade connector and crimp it on to the wire.