GPS Runs off of House Current not off of 12Volt in car

Old 10-07-12, 10:46 AM
GPS Runs off of House Current not off of 12Volt in car

I have a TOM TOM 1 (301) and kit will charge and program off of household current but once I put it in the car and plug it into my power out let using the appropriate USB cable, she runs for about 30 minutes and then dies, after that I cannot restart her on 12volt current. I have tried several different cables with the same result, any suggestions (I know buy a new GPS).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-12, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you sure your car outlet is hot? Have you plugged anything else in the outlet to see if it runs? I have a lighter socket (switch controlled) and a power point (always hot). How is yours set up. The fuse blew on my switch controlled socket recently for some reason. Replaced fuse and it is fine.

Old 10-08-12, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife also has a TomTom although it's a different model. I agree with Larry that your car plug in might not be hot but it should also work longer than 30 minutes without being charged. I used her GPS in my truck once [no outlet] and it worked fine off of the internal battery. Probably on for about an hour but was turned off, didn't die.
I wonder if the battery is replaceable

Old 10-08-12, 05:51 AM
No run on 12VDC

Outlet is hot, cell phone charges OK, I went both direct to the port and also tried using a USB hookup that plugs into port and takes up to two devices and still no go

Old 10-08-12, 01:24 PM
I know it is a longshot, but wifey picked up one of my bluetooth chargers when she went back to Albuquerque last week and although it fit her Atrix, it would not charge it. Do you have the correct charging cord with the correct usb end? Does the charger plug have an internal fuse that could have blown? some do.

Old 10-08-12, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Although many devices use the same plug....the wiring of the plug can be different. I think most newer models have agreed to the mini(?) USB standard....but not that long ago they all didn't.

Oops....well...looks like since 2006 they are on the standard.

I'd check if it charges from a USB port on a PC.

Old 10-08-12, 04:15 PM
No charge on 12VDC

She boots up and charges off of my PC.

Old 10-08-12, 04:52 PM
How 'bout the fuse in the plug head? Is there one?