boats, starter bendix staying engaged

Old 10-14-12, 09:10 AM
boats, starter bendix staying engaged

My friend has a lobster boat and he says when he startes the boat the starter stays engaged. He can turn of the key switch and the bendix still stays engaged untill he turns of the battery switch. When he turns the battery switch back on the bendix is no longer engaged untill he turns the key switch to the start possition again. Can somebody tell me whats up. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-12, 09:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Basically you have a sticking bendix gear. It could have been affected by salt water. Probably best to remove the starter and take the bendix off and clean it really good. You didn't say what motor it was on, nor the size. May not make a difference but it helps to have all the information we can.

Old 10-14-12, 09:19 AM
Thanks!! I am going down to the boat to do a few tests to see whats up. He had a so called teck change the starter switch. I may have more info later today. Thanks again.

Old 10-14-12, 09:30 AM
New information may bring new suggestions. If the "tech" miswired the starter, he could have a hot wire jumpered to the wrong side causing the bendix to stay engaged. I'd check his wiring against factory wiring just to make sure. If the bendix falls back after you remove battery power, it may be the wiring indeed.

Old 10-14-12, 10:54 AM
Water in starter.

Thanks Chandler. Im goind down to the boat at 3 EST. I think he said there was an old crysler motor in it ,and it has the old long starter with just one wire to it from the solinoid. I think as well that the other guy screwed up when he put in the new switch. I will let you know whats up. Thanks again.

Last edited by usmcmp74; 10-14-12 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Fixed,
Old 10-14-12, 01:38 PM
Checked starter switch,OK. Checked solinoid,OK. Took out starter and stood on end ,and water started dripping out. Will replace starter. Problem solved, I hope!! Have a great week everybody!!!

Old 10-14-12, 05:33 PM
Glad you found what the potential problem is. C'mon back anytime!~