Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

downrigger problems

PA

04-20-13, 11:39 AM   #1  
downrigger problems

im jim I have two cannon magnum 10a I got them out and tested them for some reason the motor will spin in the down position but when I put the switch in the up position they wont do anything now I have them hooked up to a battery and when I switch the wires the motor will spin the other way with the switch in the down position still the up wont work

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

MN

04-20-13, 12:13 PM   #2  
Sounds like you have a faulty switch. I suggest taking it apart and see if there is some contacts to clean.

The motor sounds fine as it went the other direction when you reversed the wires on the battery.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

PA

04-21-13, 04:34 AM   #3  
thanks that's the direction I was goin now do I have to buy the switch made for them cause they r alittle pricey on ebay

NY

04-21-13, 05:58 AM   #4  
Make sure the switch is wired correctly. The top & bottom sets of terminals should be wired in an X-pattern with the power connected to the center and motor leads coming off either the top or bottom.

For example, if contacts were numbered:
1 2
3 4
5 6

A reversing switch could have:
1= to switch terminal 6
2= to switch terminal 5
3= +12VDC
4= 0 volts DC
5= Motor Positive
6= Motor Negative

PA

04-21-13, 04:32 PM   #5  
i looked around and it seems I cant find the switch that has the x-pattern so I guess ill buy the ones off ebay that is for the downrigger thanks for the help if u no of a place to find one please let me no

Search this Thread