boat windows

Old 09-20-13, 09:58 PM
boat windows

i have a 25ft flybridge cruiser,fraser brand,i want to replace side windows,it looks like the alloy frame fits into the window frame with silastic sealer,what could i use to soften the sealer to make removal of sliding window frame easier.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-13, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I've never worked on boat windows but normally the best way to remove silicone caulk is to cut it out with a utility knife along with peeling and scraping. I'm not sure there is anything that would dissolve the caulking without harming the surrounding substrate/finish. Soapy water works good as a lubricant when you are scraping.

Old 09-21-13, 03:46 AM
I used a utility knife to cut as much of the silicone caulk away as I could, then took the blade out of the knife and used it to remove the rest.

(Edit: Typing at the same time, Mark!)

Old 09-21-13, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Often windows are held in with a sealant that does not completely harden and it can be a bugger to remove because if you let it touch itself it can re-stick. I'd use the putty knife and box cutter methods already mentioned but be prepared to use putty knives or flat blade screw drivers to hold areas apart that you've already cut. Work around the window in a circular pattern keeping tension on the window to help the sealant release. The whole process is easier if you will be installing new windows since you don't have to worry about damaging the old one.

Old 09-22-13, 02:10 AM
i have now got the side sliding windows and frames,plus both side windscreens out,they were riveted to main frame and sealed with the old type black mastic sealer we used years ago in the old style car windscreen sealing rubbers ,now to remove the 1/4 fixed windows,i think the main frame may have to come out,maybe have to lift flybridge a little to do this,its a bit like restoreing an old car every job is a challenge,

Old 09-22-13, 05:00 AM
It is a challenge that, when met, returns a great deal of satisfaction.