3.7 lx mercruiser blowing oil out the breather vent

Old 10-10-13, 01:47 PM
3.7 lx mercruiser blowing oil out the breather vent

HEllo I have a carver with twin 3.7 lx engines and just noticed oil pouring out the breather that comes from the tappet covers to the air cleaner... so I pulled the tappet cover off and started the engine and the oil just gushed from the rear push rod and lifter hole....what is going on with that? any sugs?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-13, 04:01 AM
Can you see exactly where it's coming from? If it's a bad valve seal it would also mean you have oil leaking through the piston rings. Not good. Is the engine running OK?

If it isn't coming from the valve(s), there is supposed to be some oil circulating. I always compare to the other engine when something goes wrong that I can't figure out. How does the oil look? Dirty enough to suspect a clog somewhere else that's causing increased pressure to the lifters? How often do you change the oil?

Old 10-11-13, 04:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How to Check an Engine's Cylinder Compression - For Dummies
This test should tell you if it's the rings or a problem with the valves and or seals.
If your lucky it's just the valves or seals and just the heads need to be rebuilt.
Never just rebuild one, have both done at the same time.

Old 10-14-13, 03:13 AM
the engine runs great, I donot believe it to be blowby, as it also has reduced oil pressure due to this massive oil gush, I mean it literally gushes out this push rod hole as if the oil journal is broken and all the oil is coming out there.

Search this Thread