Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

rowing machine plan

Non-US

11-28-13, 07:07 AM   #1  
rowing machine plan

I'm looking at building a water rower for exercise. I can't afford $600+ for one. They don't appear to be very complicated. The only thing I can't find is the mechanism to recoil the line or webbing connected to the handle. I was thinking the recoil mechanism on a lawnmower. Can anyone think of the same mechanism but a little stronger to support the repetitive use? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

11-28-13, 07:24 AM   #2  
I just used Bing to key word search "DIY rowing Machine" and lots came up with plans.

DIY rowing machine : Pulling mechanism

Non-US

11-28-13, 11:16 AM   #3  
JC1, thanks. Been there, done that. I'm just looking to make a better machine than those. They definitely aren't complicated. I've seen the several bungee chord thing but that won't last very long if you use it that often. I like the simple fan in a can of water idea. I just need to find a mechanism that will withstand the repeated abuse. Not sure if the lawnmower idea will even last for years but I think it will. Thanks for the reply.

NY

11-29-13, 05:15 AM   #4  
The lawnmower recoil won't last. How 'bout using good ol' weights and pulley?

Non-US

11-29-13, 12:47 PM   #5  
Could be

Rick,
I like the compact size of the Concept2 rowing machine. It's about as simple as it gets and supposedly lasts forever. The weights have to be put on a pipe or something or they swing.
I'm not sure how long the mower recoil will or will not last. I know with most of the mowers I've had they last for years (the spring at least), it's the rope that breaks.
Thanks for the response.

Search this Thread