electricity on boat dock

Old 03-05-01, 05:14 PM
Visiting Guest
I am not sure just where to post my questions but it is boat related so I will try here first.
My problem is at my boatdock. I really need electricity on the dock to charge my trolling battery and to clean fish. The problem is I live on a lake that is ran by the Arkansas State people and the cost to do it like they say is around 3500$. I don't catch that many fish.
My thoughts are solar pannels. Do I need special batteries in my boat? Can this solar electricty be somehow converted to run standard electrical items like battery chargers and elec. knives? I also have a boat lift in the dock that runs off a small vacuum motor. Any direction would be a great help as I am stump dumb when it comes to any thing to do with electricity.
Thank you
Ray Vaughn
http://www.tipsfromthetilepro.com

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-01, 07:17 PM
Cool

Hey, Ray!
How are you? This is really an Electrical forum question, but I can help you, I believe.
If we run into something that I'm uncertain about, we can go ask the pros over there.
I wired my 150' pier and boathouse with 220v for the boatlift motor and 110v for power and lights...ALL on a gfci breaker.
There is only one way to do AC electricity and water...RIGHT!
My first question is WHAT powers your boatlift motor? (I'm not familiar with a vacuum lift.) A 110v or a 220v circuit? You may be able to use that same wiring to do a 110v gfci outlet to run a battery charger or your electric knife.
All that you have to do is install a double gfci outlet between the power source and the boatlift motor.
I think that you're confusing AC with DC with the solar stuff on the water (buoy lights, etc.), maybe.
I don't know of a battery charger that runs off of DC, but, of course, you can buy a good battery-operated knife. Just shop around.
Let me hear about the boatlift power source, and we'll go from there.
Mike