cooling troubles

Old 05-05-14, 03:11 AM
cooling troubles

Hello guys !
I have a 1987 Rinker V180. It has a 4.3 liter Chevy engine, with an OMC Cobra outdrive. I've had it for 3 years now and decided to tear into it a bit this year. It had cooled just fine before. I took out the old outdrive impeller and housing and replaced it. Old impeller looked all ate up and had a small pile of rubber pieces layin in the bottom of the housing. I replaced the impeller, housing, plate and gasket. I hooked it up to earmuffs and can't get it to pump any water at all. The water line comes out of the outdrive, goes to the power steering cooler, then up to the thermostat where I have it unhooked, lookin for water,... but nuthin,... a little stream came out for a second,... a little oil, that I used to lube the impeller with was with it. I back flushed it a bunch and can blow back through the line and hear gurgling, but I can't get it to pump water like it should. Tried slowin down the water feed, tried putting all the pressure to it,... it just won't pump any water. I just don't think there are any restrictions, took impeller back off and looked at it,.... looks fine, put it back together,... nuthin ! What's up ! Could it be that it will not pump water with the muffs on and needs to be in the water ? I just find that hard to believe,... I mean,... I would think that it would,.... mechanics would hafta drop these in the water every dang time they wanted to tune it or service it in any way,.... I would think that the muffs would, or should work ! ?

Last edited by gearhead59; 05-05-14 at 03:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-14, 04:24 AM
I have to believe there's an air leak. A tiny air leak can prevent the entire pump from working. Worse, the more you run it without water the better the chance of damaging the new impeller. This 'tube show you how to prevent air leaks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH6dNUXKJ6o

Old 05-05-14, 04:53 AM
done that

I've done this exactly how the video shows.

Old 05-05-14, 03:15 PM
Still no water to the motor.

Old 05-05-14, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
I would think that the muffs would, or should work ! ?
I never had good luck with the muffs. I had several different sized barrels I used for testing.
If that outdrive is completely in water it can't suck any air.

Old 05-05-14, 04:42 PM
To me,... it would not be assembled correctly if it's sucking air, although it would work. I believe that it should be able to pump water with the muffs. I'm going to continue to try to get it to work with the muffs. Reason being, I want to fine tune it after rebuilding the carburetor and going thru the ignition system, and I have access to all my tools by my garage. I've talked to a few boat mechanics here, and they all agree, it should work with the muffs. I do agree it would work better in the water, but it should be able to get water with the muffs,... some at least. Another question,.... does the outdrive have to be engaged in gear and spinning the prop for the impeller to spin ? Someday, I will get a barrel and cut it down for this use. Thank you !

Old 05-05-14, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
The only other thing I can think of is a problem with the pump drive shaft.
Part #38 in the link.

1988 OMC Cobra Sterndrive UPPER GEAR HOUSING Diagram and Parts

Old 05-05-14, 05:34 PM
I have taken a ratchet to the crank pulley on the motor, and turned it with the pump off, and the shaft that drives the pump turns. Only thing I'm thinkin is is something dumb I'm doing when assembling the pump before installation. I will keep tryin and let ya'll know if I get it,... that way maybe I can help someone else with a similar problem ! Thanks PJmax !

Old 05-06-14, 03:53 AM
They run them on muffs all the time at the marina. I mentioned an air leak because I had one a few years back. The pump didn't pump at all -- not even a trickle.

Old 05-06-14, 11:56 PM
Group Moderator
Strange.... you would think with the force of the water from the muffs that the pressure would overcome any air leak. That whole chamber gets pressurized with water.