Do I need to register my inflatble boat

Old 05-10-14, 11:56 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 1,380
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do I need to register my inflatble boat

I'm thinking of getting a Inflatable boat and get a electric 40LB thrust trolling motor to go with it but was wondering If I need to resister it or not and do I need a boaters safety coarse certificate to use on lake St.Clair. I Had a safety coarse back in middle school and got this card that's green but not sure if it's the same thing. this is What I was thinking of getting at some point. The rules seam to be confusing.
Old 05-11-14, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,124
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
You can contact the MI DNR and ask them if you are confused about the regulations. It looks like they have a couple types of registration that would apply depending whether or not you have the motor.
Old 05-11-14, 05:42 AM
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Near Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,233
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You do need to register it. The boating license requirement depends on your age and when you were born.
Old 05-16-14, 12:37 PM
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 30
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The rules vary state to state. It's best to call and ask someone that can give official statements. In Texas, basically if it has a motor you have to register, if it's man powered ONLY like oars, you in the water holding on and kicking your feet...then no need to register it.
Old 05-16-14, 01:43 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,120
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
From the MI Secretary of State site:

All watercraft, unless exempt, must be registered with the Department of State and display a registration decal.

Watercraft exempt from registration are:
Those 16 feet or shorter, propelled by oars or paddles, and not used for rental or commercial purposes;
Nonmotorized canoes and kayaks not used for rental or commercial purposes, rafts, surfboards, sailboards, and swim floats, regardless of length; and
Watercraft registered in another state and used only temporarily in Michigan.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: