Hole repair question

Old 03-10-01, 01:45 AM
I have a 1976 Ranger Bass Boat. On the left upper front where the body molding runs down the side, there is a spot about 6-8 inches long where the upper and lower body under the molding has pulled apart from the rivets leaving an 6-8 inch long and 1-1 1/2 inch width seperation. Is there an easy solution for repairing this or will I need to take it to a Marine/Boat Shop to be repaired.Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-01, 08:31 PM
Im not clear how this became separated.
Is it crushed, or did it open up on its own?
do you have access to the inner area for reinforcing?
i await your reply.
scott

Old 03-13-01, 10:46 PM
Hole repair

I will look at it closer tommorrow and get back with you. It isn't crushed or dented though. When I bought it, I didn't even notice it until I got home. It appears it just pulled loose and there is 3-4 u-shaped holes in bottom section where it looks like it had rivets or screws and it just pulled apart from them where the upper and lower bodies connect underneath the molding.Itlooks fine before and after this 6-8 inch section.I may have to remove the molding for a closer look. I'm trying to sell it due to a financial situation and want to get this repaired first.

Old 03-14-01, 07:27 PM
if its not damaged in that area it may have been a bad lay up in the mold. Possibly the boat was a "second".
You may want to just fill that area with a marine grade silicone and tell the buyer of it.
The upper and lower hulls are fastened together with screws and sometimes only pop rivets and then siliconed.
Finally the rubrail is fastened with screws and shes ready for the water. On the upscale models the two halves are fiberglassed together from the inside.
scott

Old 03-16-01, 01:28 AM
Hole seperation Repair

Scott,
Thanks for the help.I'll let you know how it goes after I've finished.Take Care.