Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Built in flotation

ME

06-18-14, 06:45 AM   #1  
Built in flotation

Two projects, 14' Starcraft AL boat and a 19' Grumman canoe. Currently have the foam removed from the canoe and an email has been sent to Grumman asking is they offer form fitting replacement foam. In the event they don't or it is too expensive, my question regarding both crafts is, would the Dow blue foam be acceptable, cut and cobbled to fit?

The existing foam came out sufficiently intact that I can use it as a model to try my sculpting skills with a reciprocating saw. That and a rasp or sand paper shouldn't be too difficult. Just don't want to use a foam that will shrink or fall apart.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

06-18-14, 09:20 AM   #2  
I have floating planter island in my pond. Basically a big tub anchored out in the water with flowers planted in dirt and the whole thing floated by layers of blue DOW rigid foam. I cut the flotation pieces from scraps so there are a lot of cut edges and holes through the foam where I wired them to the tub. I think it's been in the water 5 or 6 years, winter and summer and the foam still has not absorbed water and it continues to float at the same level as when new. So, if you can't find the correct block of foam I'd feel comfortable using one of the blue or pink brand rigid foams.

ME

06-18-14, 09:41 AM   #3  
I found one old thread where the poster was answering a similar question and felt confident Grumman would have something. Time and expense will add into that decision. I also found a reference to a 2 part expanding urethane foam that you pour in. Their two piece solution allows the pieces to be pushed in tight and removed if needed, not very often. A pour in foam would be there until carved out, but would be a perfect fit. Fiberglass , Epoxy , Composites, Carbon Fiber - U.S. Composites, Inc. I could also do a hybrid approach with some blue foam to fill most and then the pour-in to complete the fill and fit.

Thanks for the feedback on the blue foam.

Bud

ME

06-19-14, 07:18 AM   #4  
Grumman replied to my inquiry about the availability of replacement flotation foam. He quoted the front foam for the 19' square stern, mine is an 18' double ended (my confusion on length) but the replacement quoted was $76 plus $44 for shipping. Even if it is slightly smaller for my double ended I still need front and rear so probably well over $200. Ugh!

He was nice enough to suggest it might be less expensive to fabricate the replacements as we have discussed or to even stuff the space very tightly with peanuts. Although he also suggested I could repair with the great stuff my experience with that says it can become waterlogged.

I took some soap to the pieces and they look sufficiently intact to act as forms for the pour-in foam from the link above. I will need to hollow out one piece to get the sand and whatever out (ants are a pain) but that would also provide a path for a better fill, inside to out. I will order the small 2-part kit that will make 2 cubic feet and see how it goes. I will take some before and after pictures and post.

Bud

Group Moderator

NC

06-19-14, 09:27 AM   #5  
It's unusual and very nice for a manufacturer to offer some reasonable suggestions. In the modern world of product liability lawsuits I would have expected them to say you had to use their foam block.

ME

06-19-14, 10:34 AM   #6  
Nice that they would even reply and promptly, doesn't always happen. Made in America has more than one advantage.
I'm in the process of reinstalling what I have so I can go fishing. I will order the pour-in foam and now that I have the stubborn screws drilled out as it will only take 5 minutes to pull it apart again. I use a 36 pound thrust electric motor and bow anchor, makes a slick combination.

Thanks for the replies,
Bud

Search this Thread