Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wiring trim and tilt for 50 hp Mercury

WI

05-09-15, 11:47 AM   #1  
Wiring trim and tilt for 50 hp Mercury

I recently bought a trim and tilt with a three wire motor so I had no idea how to wire a solenoid for it so I found a replacement wire harness complete with relays designed to replace the old style three wire but it didn't have any instructions other than connect the red ring terminal to the positive terminal on the battery and the black ring terminal to the negative terminal of the battery then connecting the two thick 20 guage blue and green to the blue and green going to the motor and lastly, connecting the 16 guage green and blue wire to the switch. But after plugging these in I am left with large black wire going to the motor but I get nothing when I turn the on the switch in either position. I bought a heavy duty momentary 30 amp switch but a mechanic told me not to put a power lead to the center terminal because it will most likely burn up the relays! I am lost and I have no instructions on what to do with the large black power wire that goes to the motor? Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks, Roger

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

05-09-15, 01:08 PM   #2  
A tilt and trim motor should only have two wires. Many times blue and green.
Is there a make and model or a link to the unit you bought ?

A wiring kit with dual relays is ideal as the relays will save the switch.
A HD switch will also work.

Once we determine what the 3rd wire is for we can get you wired up.

~ Pete ~

Search this Thread