18hp Evinrude motor

Old 03-30-01, 10:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Gentlemen,
I inherited a 14 foot deep-hull flat bottom boat with a 18 hp. Evinrude engine.It appears to have plenty of compression and was reported to have been a sound machine when it was used.The engine has not been operated in 6 years.What steps should I take(cleaning,oil change,etc.) before attempting to crank this engine?What fuel mix ratio should be used?My mechanical skills are better than average but haven't any experience with a boat motor.Closest I've come to would be two-stroke and lawnmower engines.Would appreciate all help and advice given.Thank you for your time and consideration.

Mercury1948,
(ready to fish)

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-01, 06:41 PM
Ok Merc,
you can pull the plugs and give a squirt of two cycle oil to the cylinders while you are getting the model number.
crank it over a few times then with the plug wires grounded.
Do you have the fuel tank too??
boatmech

Old 04-11-01, 01:16 PM
Visiting Guest
your old motor

had one of those just want remind you not to start out of the water.if you do your waterpump impeller will melt,it is made of rubber.also check the bottomend of your motor for oil.good idea to change it.sometimes the seals leak a bit and water gets in or the oil gets out.if you dont have a lake near by,get yourself a 45 gallon drum to put your motor in.then you can try it out at home.just a little bit of advice because i run into all those proplems when i was young. codie