Outboard motor wont shut off

Old 09-14-15, 09:32 AM
Outboard motor wont shut off

86 bayliner force125 outboard,eng.wont shut down,pulled off all wires when running and still wont shut down??second problem the bracket that holds the coils and cd modules is just hanging by its wires,cant tell how it hooks onto the side of engine.tried new ing. sw still wont shut down,can this be related why no shut down??

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-15, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

There are several different wiring diagrams for that engine based on it's manufactured year.
That engine uses a short to ground to stop the engine.

In the wiring diagrams they show an ignition switch and a stop switch..... do you have both ?
The CD module most likely needs to be grounded to work properly.

I'm not that familiar with that engine.....
Does it have holes for mounting and the bolts/screws aren't there ?

There should be a black/yellow wire at each coil pack that is connected together. That wire gets shunted to ground to stop the engine.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-14-15 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-14-15, 11:47 AM
motor shut down

motor model#125xcb ser.#2212 the only thong I see on the bracket is 4 rubber parts screwed into the back of the bracket,that line up with 4 metal parts coming off the motor,the only way I can see it connecting to each other if it is magnetic

Old 09-14-15, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
I'm at a loss..... could you post a picture ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

I know the CDI modules are mounted with two screws each. I can't find any pictures of the mounting plate they are attached to.

On edit:
I was looking around. This was the cleanest picture I could grab. It's from a video.

Name:  force 1.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  49.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-14-15 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 09-14-15, 01:52 PM
motor shut off

the picture you are showing me is correct,its on the back of the picture there are 4 rubber fittings that screw into it,you can see the end of the bolt on top between the coils and cdi.

Old 09-15-15, 01:11 PM
what the picture is showing is the bracket with the coils and cdi are on,on the back of that is where the 4 rubber standoffs are,no mounting holes to engine,just 54 round standoffs with a round metal head.no stop sw.

Old 09-15-15, 01:15 PM
:4 engine standoffs not 54

Old 09-15-15, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry bob..... I can help you with wiring problems but I've never worked on that model engine so I can't offer you any help with the mounting plate. You should be able to see what the actual fastener or fastening method is. The engines get a lot of vibration so it must be a substantial mounting system. If it's just four rubber pieces then maybe they broke ?