1988 Sea Ray Seville - Trim and Tilt Motor

Old 05-10-16, 10:08 AM
1988 Sea Ray Seville - Trim and Tilt Motor

Took in the boat last year to get it winterized. The mechanic said, and i'm paraphrasing, jump the trim and tilt motor to raise and lower the outboard.

When I picked it up, the mechanic and I talked about it a bit and he said the wires were corroded and that it's a common thing. I asked him if he would show me. He did. Looked like a pretty easy DIY project.

Well, finally had time to work on it. Took most of them off. Used a small wire brush on the threads, sandpaper on the ring terminals and nuts.

Saw a few things disconnected. Wasn't sure the mechanic had to do this when he had to jump the T&T motor. One connector was obvious, as it could only go to one place but i'm stuck with these other 2 (picture below)

I tried to lower the outboard (boat wasn't running - hasn't been summerized) to see if these were needed and the T&T motor makes noise both down and up but nothing is moving.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to sell it and I'm done putting money into it. Thank you.

(Moterators: The forums logged me out while creating this thread. I would have had to type this all over and was frustrated. A chrome plugin I use saved what I had and saw I was able to restore. Would be nice to stay logged in for 24h or autosave to my profile.)
Name:  trimandtilt.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  38.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-16, 10:59 AM
(Moterators: The forums logged me out while creating this thread. I would have had to type this all over and was frustrated. A chrome plugin I use saved what I had and saw I was able to restore. Would be nice to stay logged in for 24h or autosave to my profile.)
I can't help you with your real problem but the forum DOES have an autosave function, albeit not always remembering the entire amount written. As for being automatically logged out...check the "Remember me" box when signing in and you will not be logged out automatically. Checking Remember me will keep you logged in for as long as the browser is open or even forever as long as you don't dump cookies.

Old 05-10-16, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
We can't help you much just seeing two unconnected wires.

Is this a hydraulic system that uses a pump and solenoids ?
Those may go to a solenoid that directs the fluid flow.
Can you post a few pictures showing us what you have.... maybe the motor unit if you can see it.

Old 05-11-16, 06:34 AM
It is a hydraulic system that uses a pump and solenoids (pretty sure anyway). The T&T pump is the black cylinder in the OP. I'll get out there today between rain showers and take a few more pictures. Thank you.

Old 05-14-16, 11:11 AM
Here are a bunch of pictures of the T&T pump. The best I could do within close quarters and with my phone. I couldn't find any place the wires could connect to. It's a mystery. If it's something obvious or that i'm overylooking, please let me know. Thank you.

album: trim and tilt - Album on Imgur

Old 05-14-16, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
I see your pictures and I'm looking them over.

I'm not familiar with all the different types of trim setups. My specialty is wiring and electrical troubleshooting. I'm looking at several different trim setups right now and I have a few questions....

Do you have a "trim" gauge on the dash ?
If yes.... those two wires are probably for that. There should be a matching two plug cable.

Do you have four hydraulic lines..... two from each side that connect at the pump ?