Need carburator help 1967 johnson outboard 20hp

Old 07-04-17, 06:34 AM
Need carburator help 1967 johnson outboard 20hp

Need some help on my old carburetor. 1967 Johnson outboard 20 HP model FD21R.
Finally found a video fairly close to what I have unfortunately no CC and my ears can't handle the audio, but the picture helps.

My question. I have the carb off and as expected fuel drained out of the inlet. But while handling it more fuel drained out of an upper opening that I don't know if it is supposed to be open or supposed to have a freeze plug in it.

At45 seconds into the video there is a view from above, shaft for the low speed adj (?) and a cross shaft just above another freeze plug (Welch). The opening in question is on the left end of that cross shaft but in this video I can't get a view to determine whether that needs a plug or not.

Engine was completely serviced but had unrelated problems but the shop where I took it was hit by lightening and out of business. Last fall I was fixing a fuel pump leak when I stopped for the year, it was running poorly then. Fuel pump is now fixed be cannot start it so have narrowed it down to a fuel issue beyond the pump. And found white crud inside the carb so a cleaning is in order just unsure if that hole where fuel poured out needs to be plugged or remain open.

Thanks,
Bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiOnGV2eBlY

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-17, 11:42 AM
Bud, I looked at my Seloc manual that goes back to '71 figuring the carbs are pretty much the same. It has pics. of the carbs and all the parts but the pics are small yet I don't see any welch plug on the end of that shaft housing I think you are referring to. Could be it just has some wear on the shaft causing leakage but if you have a plug that fits and get it to stay it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Old 07-04-17, 12:46 PM
Thanks Ron, I have the 56 to 70 Selco and they identify it as a Type I carb but just don't have one shown like mine.

I picked up this motor roadside about 15 years ago and have yet to get it running properly, not the motors fault just too busy. I have an 18 I have been using instead. But I learned later the story behind the motor. The man selling it was the father of a classmate of mine and we graduated HS in 65. He bought the motor new in 67 and unfortunately his daughter, a good friend, died in a boating accident shortly there after. Sad, as she was such a great young lady so owning this motor will always carry her memory. When he put it away it only had 2 tanks of gas through it, so virtually a brand new motor. I got it the day he put it on the road.

I found a video on a carb for a 30hp, similar and it has a similar port to that side and it is blocked. If I can't get a determination on open/closed I will as you suggest be prepared to plug it and try both ways. Not sure if my 18 has the same carb or not but I will also check there.

Thanks,
Bud

Old 07-12-17, 08:10 AM
Update, well I got the carb back together and left the mystery port open as I found it. Easy to access if I needed to close it. BUT, it started right up second pull. I'll set the high and low speed adjustments today and get it back on my boat. maybe this weekend i'll get to try it. Fingers crossed.

Nice to know how things are put together.

Bud

Old 07-12-17, 11:10 AM
Good deal Bud, guess it doesn't need any plug after all but I would still keep an eye on it just in case.