Deep cycle battery question

Old 06-07-21, 05:35 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deep cycle battery question

Ok, tell me what I think I already know... lol.

Iíve got a group 31 deep cycle battery that has 2 seasons on it, dated 7/18... itís had a rough life. When it was 1year old, after its first season, the float charger failed. When spring came along the battery was at 1.5 volts. I was able to get it to recharge but it seemed as it lost a little capacity but still plenty good enough. The very next year, through a connector mishap, it was hooked up backwards on a 6 amp charger for just a moment, there was a brief moment of panic. I then let the battery sit all winter without a recharge. This year it read 12.6v before charging it. I put a 10 amp charger on it and it charged at 8 amps for a few hours. I felt the sides of the battery and it was pretty hot down the side of the neg terminal. I let the battery rest a day and charged some more, it got down to 6 amps and was pretty warm again. After another day of rest, itís now down to 4 amps on charge. Also keep in mind I was charging the battery outside on an 89 degree day, I wasnít sure what would happen so I wanted it outside.

Do you think itís heading towards being usable or do you think itís toast?

Old 06-07-21, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts

Batteries don't like the freezing cold with no charge.
After a few hours the charge rate should have been very low.
The capacity of the battery has been compromised and won't return.

Old 06-07-21, 06:24 PM
H
The battery was in my garage all winter that would never see below 55 degrees, usually warmer.

update.... after 1.5 hours on charge tonight, the battery reads full charge. I plan to take it to where I purchased it and get it load tested to see what it will do.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
H
Update #2

Iíve been charging it off and on, the lowest Iíve seen the charger go is 2amps. Granted, I could let it cook longer and I may.

I took it to Batteries + Bulbs today where I bought. They used what looked like an inexpensive automotive code reader on itÖ 12.6v and they say itís 589 cca on a battery rated for 500 cca. If thatís true, itís as good as it was when it was new, not sure Iím buying it. I guess the test will be when I actually beat on it with the trolling motor out on the water.

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Battery testers are not necessarily that accurate. It also depends on how they're used.

Testing it out trolling is the best way to test.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: