1968 55HP Johnson wont spark, cant find problem

Old 07-08-01, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a 1968 Johnson 55hp 3 cyl engine that wont spark. Ive checked the points, wiring, etc..., I get absolutely nothing from any of the plug wires. This motor has a pulse amplifier on it, and an ignition system different than any i'm familiar with...and i'm a small engine mechanic. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-01, 08:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up My Two Cents

Hello cheese

The forum moderator can provide you with specific and detailed information pertaining to this engine.

I would suggest you start checking for an unwanted grounding somewhere within the ignition system. Do not overlook the starter switch, ignition switch or kill switch if any apply to this model.

Also check the wires for continuity, corrosion at all terminal ends and terminal blocks. Check the wires under the housing cover on the engine itself.

Having an electrical problem can become a time consuming task to locate exactly where a problem lies. However, often times these tasks get overlooked while expensive parts get replaced, to no avail.

I am sure the BoatMech professional will agree with me.

And there you have it..."My Two Cents"...

Regards & Good Luck
A Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Old 07-09-01, 10:31 AM
Well you are right, that system is unlike any you may encounter. And diagnosing it will require special tools
many shops my no longer have. You can try picking up a manual and troubleshooting it yourself. I will ck the flow charts and see what light i can shed on the system for you.
i'll have to do some digging so be patient.
scott

Old 07-09-01, 09:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank you guys for responding, I have found the problem, and it's working now. It was so simple that I'm embarassed to go into detail, lol!! Thanks alot for the help, and Scott...I hope you havent gone through much trouble looking for info. I appreciate your time.

Old 07-13-01, 07:10 AM
Good to hear you got it ..
Im sure it was something Tom said to spark your
knowledge. Loose ground or a fouled up key switch.
Thanks to Tom for his insight. and two cents.
Scott

Search this Thread