4.3L mercruiser starts & kills,won't stay running

Old 09-16-01, 01:51 AM
Visiting Guest
1995 , 4.3L mercruiser began giving problems by not continuing to run. the engine simply dies. then it re-
fused to start at all. local mechanic changed ignition
magnifier and it ran about 40 min. and quit. he then
changed the sensor in the distributor. engine ran ok on
hose about 3-4 times then started the same problem. it
starts and within a minute it kills smoothly like i would
just turn off the key.

any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-01, 03:56 PM
Salty,
Have you looked at the electric fuel pump.
There was a bulliten some years back about a
bad resistor. Ask your dealer to pull up the service bullitens on that engine and im sure youll find the
fault. Shes just running out of fuel.
The sensor in the dist was surely due to be replaced after 6 years. Im not so sure about the module.
check the wiring loom plug. pull it apart, look at the terminals. Corroded. burnt, bent?
when running jiggle the plug in its socket. does the
engine stutter?
Get back to me on this.
scott

Old 10-09-01, 02:46 PM
Visiting Guest
4.3L WON'T RUN

SALTY,
BOATMECH IS PROBABLY RIGHT ON THE MARK. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LAST YEAR WITH MY 4.3L MERC. IT TURNED OUT THAT A TERMINAL ON THE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH HAD BROKEN OFF. THE OIL PRESSURE SWITH IS NEXT TO THE #5 CYLINDER ON THE RIGHT HAD SIDE AS YOU FACE THE ENGINE UNDER THE SPARK PLUG. WITH THE ELECTRICAL FUEL PUMP, A CHARGE INITIALLY COMES FROM THE STARTER TO THE FUEL PUMP TO SEND FUEL TO THE CARB. ONCE STARTED, THE CHARGE PASSES THROUGH THIS SWITCH. IT IS A SAFETY FEATURE THAT WILL CUT OFF THE ENGINE IF OIL PRESSURE FALLS BELOW 4 PSI - IT'S DESIGNED TO SAY YOU $$. BUT IF A TERMINAL IS CORRODED OR BROKEN OFF, THEN NO CHARGE AND THE ENGINE WILL ONLY RUN AS LONG AS THAT INITIAL FUEL PROVIDED DURING THE START-UP PROCESS. SORRY MY REPLY IS LATE, HAVEN'T BEEN TO THIS SITE FOR AWHILE. GOOD LUCK.

BLITZKRIEG

Old 01-21-08, 12:35 PM
also consider this site, which has repair and performance tips on mercruiser engines along with a few other brands