Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

OMC COBRA

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-20-01, 09:06 AM   #1  
Hi, let me quiz your cobra knowledge. I have a 89 cobra outdrive on a 26ft with a 350 chevy. I had the lower unit rebuilt due to the fact it had become almost impossible to put in fwd gear. Anyway, cost 1100 to rebuild the lower unit with new fwd, rvs, and clutch. I got the boat back on a pretty nasty day, and put it in the slip. The next day i went to start her up, and it shifts fine, however, the drive is VERRRY noisy, almost like a gear drive in a car. I was concerned, however i am having a bad time in getting them to take it back. So i had it pulled out, i pulled the dipstick and the oil was pretty much all foam, however, no trace of water at all, since i drained a little out of it to see, the oil i drained looked fine, no bubbles or anything, but the oil in the top i couldn't even get a reading on due to the foam. Do you have any idea at all what might cause this, they didnt do anything to the upper unit, just the lower, however, sounds to me like the upper it the noisy, does get noisier in gear, was never like that before they took it, just had a heck of a time getting in fwd. Sorry so long, thanks for any help at all

Sponsored Links

09-21-01, 02:12 AM   #2  
If the company, hopefully and OMC dealer, wont come
listen to the noise then you can hire and independent marine surveyor. Get a recommendation from your insurance company.
It may be that the vertical shaft is not properly shimnmed.
the new gears do not have a proper lash.
You may also be hearing the new gears. OMC issued a 5 degree
gear set for that model and it will sound a little different.
boatmech

Search this Thread