Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Outdrive Corrosion

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

10-13-01, 04:59 PM   #1  
Hi: Boatmechanic

The question is how to prevent or decrease the amount of saltwater corrosive action on the outdrive, short of removing the boat from the dock?

The vessel in question is two years old and the outdrive is an OMC. The boat is in the water year round and the outdrive is in the up position when not in use.

Which paint, applied product or method of storage etc. is recommended to prolong the outdrives metal surfaces?

Any and all professional advice on the topic you could recommend and or suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tom

PS:
The boat is currently docked in Redondo's "King Harbor."
Oh Yeah!!!!
I'll be at the boat show Friday and fishing Saturday...

Sponsored Links

10-14-01, 03:07 PM   #2  
Hi Tom.
King Harbor is a nice place to be. clean water and friendly folks. There is though a lot of electrolytic ation.
From the docks, liveaboards and the power plant.
I thinkd the barnacles are worse but lets get your corrosion problem fixed. You didnt say what model it is
but whichever you have you should keep the drive down.
If its an electic shift, to keep a sailboat from bumping into it. If its a cobra, to keep the buggers out of the bellows and to keep your bellows in better shape.
Interlux makes a good anti fouling kit that is easily applied. It is tin based and will not adversly affect the performance. You can brush it on and be done in a day or so. Come see me at Shaws in Hawthorne. Caught any Yellows yet?
Scott

CAL

10-15-01, 02:07 PM   #3  
Hi: Scott

Thanks for the paint recommendation.
I'll tend to that detail myself, next time the boat is out of the water. Which may not be for several more months.

I am considering installing a floating fresh water canvas pool between the docking area. It's cost should help reduce hull cleaning costs.

However, the initial costs of the fresh water storage system, undercleaning of it and clorine costs, etc. seem to balance out. Just can't win on the issue either way...

Your absolutely correct on the point that I neglected to provide more specific vessel info.

The boat is a 26 foot Seaswirl "Striper."
5.7 liter V8 with a VolvoPenta counter rotating twin prop outdrive.

I will now keep the outdrive lowered, as you suggested too.
Excellent tip...thanks.

Regards,
Tom

[Edited by Tom_Bartco on 10-21-01 at 06:45]

10-15-01, 03:54 PM   #4  
The Boat Bath system is a really good one, and although it is costly to set up and maintain it protects not only the drive but reduces corrosion to the engine and eliminates the scouring pads the divers use on your hull.
Ive seen some boats come out of those after 5 years looking showroom clean.
Boy i love those stripers, good fishing. scott

CAL

10-21-01, 04:02 PM   #5  
Hi Scott

I attended the boat show and once again came away with far less $$$ then I went in with...hahaha..but had another great day. Like the shows and attend several a year, if possible.

Took your advice and made the purchase of the Boat Bath system. The system will be installed sometime later next month.

I do know of and also do business with Shaws. If you ever find the time, do drop me an email. Address link is listed below. Have some other boat questions of none interest to the forum.

Oh Yeah...
Fishing was lousy but sure beats working anyday...

Thanks again,
Tom

Search this Thread