Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

leaky boat

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

10-26-01, 04:59 AM   #1  
I have an old jon boat with 137 rivets ( aluminum boat) The rivets are starting to leak. Is there a paint that I could paint the inside or outside that would seal the leaks. I can't afford to have each rivet welded.

Sponsored Links

NC

10-27-01, 08:31 PM   #2  
I have an old 12' jon boat that I just use for a water pump platform for working on my pier/boathouse and bulkhead that had the same problem.
I turned it upside down, smeared black plastic roofing cement over each rivet, and no-more-leaks.
That stuff is VERY sticky (you can put it on wet surfaces to seal roofs, even in the rain), so use throw-away rubber gloves and old clothes.
I wire-brushed the rivets and made sure that the area was clean and dry, though. Put it on with a paint stir stick or putty knife. Let it dry out well, or it'll get all over anything that it touches.
Ain't pretty, but works like a charm. (Who sees the bottom of your boat anyway?)
Good Luck!
Mike

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

10-28-01, 02:32 AM   #3  
Excellent Suggestion

Hello Mike, Scott and hfengr

Excellent suggestion Mike. I never would have thought of using black plastic roofing cement...

After applying the black roofing cement {TAR} how about coating the entire bottom with a colored water proof epoxy paint?

Personally, I would have suggested using clear silicone. It too is also fresh water proof and adheres very well to almost any surface. Wondering how well and if silicone would work in salt water?

Both products, silicone and plastic roofing tar, would work fine for the intended purpose, providing the rivets are only slightly rusted.

If some rivets were rusted out to the point of failing to securely hold, I'm wondering if drilling those out and reinstalling with new POP rivets would make good substitutes? Any thoughts?

Hi: Scott
Any alternate ideas on the suggestions provided?

Would common household or shop type POP rivets work?

Silicone cement work for ocassional salt water useage under the circumstances discribed by hfengr?

How about POP rivets in fresh water providing enough holding power and dependability prevention from leakage?

I know of a person who's aluminum boat has the same problem and can suggest one or both of these methods be used to correct the problem. I am sure he would be willing to try to salvage the boat this way.

Regards Mike and Scott
Good Luck hfengr
Tom

10-30-01, 03:29 PM   #4  
Hey all,
I have not had the best results with the silicones. They just dont stay stuck. The roof cement is good but dosent it get soft when you heat it.
I think sea going poxy putty is what you want for a quick patch.
You can ,if you have the time, as Tom said, replace all or any of the rivits with common grade aluminum replacements
and seal them as you install them.
good work.
scott

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-03-01, 07:17 AM   #5  
leaky boat

Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-03-01, 07:58 PM   #6  
I have an old jonboat that had the same problem when I got it. I put a block on the inside of the boat, over each rivet, and hit the rivet on the outside of the boat with a hammer while keeping the block held firmly against the rivet. It tightened the rivets, and virtually stopped all leaks. Might be a good thing to do before sealing them with putty.

Search this Thread