Boat Accessories: Power Washer/Live Bait Tank Impeller Pump Corrosion

Old 11-17-01, 03:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Angry Boat Accessories: Power Washer/Live Bait Tank Impeller Pump Corrosion

Hello Scott

I have now discovered yet another new problem with the currently owned and previously mentioned vessel....

If you remember, in a recent prior posting, I had a problem with the OEM Live Bait Tank, which spans the entire length of the transom.

I have already installed the exterior mount Live Bait Bag after deciding not to bother attempting to correct the current OEM foulup design of the built in tank.

In an effort to not install an external salt water pump, at this time, yet still use the Live Bait Bag now, I connected a hose to the OEM wash down outlet.

Well guess what? YEAP! You guessed it! The salt water has either corroded the pumps impeller and or distroyed the seal between the pump motor and impeller housing and entered the motor which corroed up the entire system....

At this point, turning on the pump motor immediately blows the 15 amp fuse.... Which tells me that either the impeller must be freed up, repaired or replaced or replace the the entire pump motor and pumping unit as an assembly.

Question:
Is there a liguid that I can pour down the water outlet, which will enter the pumps housing and help to desolve the corrosion? If so, what is it called?

My intent is to attempt to free up the impeller and hope it remains freed up with more useage and regular flushings with salt away and fresh water flushings. Unless of course the salt water has already entired the pumps motor, which I know is a possibility.

Of course, in all honesty, I would also prefer not to have to remove the current unit and install another new replacement unit, at least not at this time, do to it's difficult OEM installed location. HEY! It's fishing time, big time now...hahaha

Any helpful methods, ideas, suggestions and or professional advice on this matter will be much appreciated, as always.
BAIL me out...LOL...

BTW:
I'll be at the harbor Thursday only and just for the holiday.
NO FISHING ALLOWED....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and yours.

Best Regards,
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_B

Old 11-21-01, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tom, What kind of pump is it?
If it is the bronze one, the centrifugal style, its history.
I have one here you can have. If its the rubber impeller
displacement style pull the end cover off and see if the
impeller is clogged.
The newer style plastic centrifugal pumps are bulletproof.
Either transom or thru hull mounted you wont be changing
one for years. They are very low amperage drawing units too.
You can pick one up for about 50 dollars.
Let me know if you need this one, im not ever going to use it.
Scott.
Catch a huge halibut! the squid are in!

Old 11-22-01, 04:33 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Scott

The name of the onboard boatwasher pump is something like POWER BLASTER...???? Motor is mounted vertically and the pump housing sits atop the motor.

After reading the owners manual about this unit, it DOES NOT state that the pump will not operate without the OEM supplied hose and nozzle end but does state it must be installed....????

Instructions have a lot to say about water pressures and what happens when the hose ends nozzle is either opened or closed. Which leads me to think it must be attached to function correctly?

If the hose and nozzle end must be attached to the water faucet outlet first, how would the pump determine that and turn ON to build pressure to start up with? IE prime itself???

I'll attempt to determine that today if time is available. If not soon.
Most likely I won't today because today is TURKEY eating time........

Your thoughts on how this type pump works?

Thanks for your reply HERE too.

Thanks also for the pump offer....

I'll check into the offer idea and advise.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Tom B

Old 11-22-01, 04:40 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Scott

The name of the onboard boatwasher pump is something like POWER BLASTER...???? Motor is mounted vertically and the pump housing sits atop the motor.

After reading the owners manual about this unit, it DOES NOT state that the pump will not operate without the OEM supplied hose and nozzle end but does state it must be installed....????

Instructions have a lot to say about water pressures and what happens when the hose ends nozzle is either opened or closed. Which leads me to think it must be attached to function correctly?

If the hose and nozzle end must be attached to the water faucet outlet first, how would the pump determine that and turn ON to build pressure to start up with? IE prime itself???

I'll attempt to determine that today if time is available. If not soon.
Most likely I won't today because today is TURKEY eating time........

Your thoughts on how this type pump works?

Thanks for your reply HERE too.

Thanks also for the pump offer....

I'll check into the offer idea and advise.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Tom B

Old 11-22-01, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking

Gobble :}
It has a bronze impeller housing and it sits vertically.
Its a goner.
The armature &/or brushes are frozen. I doubt it can
be economically repaired.
It must be installed below the waterline to prime and has a poor head pressure.
Happy thxgvng to all.
scott

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: