MerCruiser Drive Unit removal.

Old 11-11-01, 02:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just recently purchased a 1980 Starcraft Model 191 for a rather good price. The previous owner was selling it because the core plug had popped out and he had no way to pull the engine to replace it. I was able to pull the engine out and replace the plug without much trouble, but in doing so, I found several other issues that need to be resolved in this. The sender wires for the Trim Limit Switch and the Trim Position sensor are completelly rotted through and need to be replaced. The wires run through the transom and attach to the senders on the lower unit. I was wondering if there is anyone that could give me any guidance on removing the lower unit anything I need to look out for removing it and re-installing it. The engine is already removed and can stay removed until the lower unit is done. This boat as a 181CI 4 cylinder inline engine which I believe is the 172 horsepower model. If you want to see this project here is the link...
http://24.229.52.124:8001/boat/default.htm

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-01, 07:04 PM
Streaker,
it looks like you have a nice project on your hands.
The pictures showed me what i suspected. You removed the engine without pulling off the outdrive first.
Its important that you get the drive off before replacing the engine. Proper engine to outdrive alignment is critical
and is measured through the drives bell housing with the special tool.
Put the gearshift into forward. Remove the trim ram attaching hardware. not the hydraulic lines.
Remove the six attaching bolts and separate the drive from the bell housing.
Having done this you will have gained acess to the trim senders.
Purchase an alignment tool, It should be checked annually when you service the drives ujoints and bellows.
scott

Old 11-12-01, 01:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Gimble alignment tool

I actually already have the alignment tool needed. The previous owner had one. From what you said, I'm not going to have to disconnect any hydraulic lines? Looking at the lines coming from the pump, they're pretty tight, it looks like someone had already done something with them, and the unit doesn't turn as far left as it does right. I was thinking maybe one of the hydraulic lines was holding it. I'm going to take some better pictures of that area this week and have them posted.

Old 01-20-08, 07:43 PM
mercruiser removal

i know there are some guides on mercruiser here. Hopefully this helps.