1997 40HP Johnston (No Oil) Alarm

Old 06-16-02, 11:21 PM
Len Case
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 1997 40HP Johnston (No Oil) Alarm

Gudday Every One
I have a 1997 40hp Johnston Outboard (Last of the White Model) and have been having trouble with the No Oil alarm on the Tacho.... Twice now the Alarm has come on and I have had to mix oil with the fuel rather than take the risk of running without oil injection to the motor... On returning home and to the service department they have not been able to get the Alarm to stay in alarm mode?....
The Oil tank has been 3/4 full both times and the oil has still been injecting and giving the motor a double dose with what I have put into the fuel... I use the boat for Trout Trolling and the Motor is ran at an idle.... The motor had been stopped and started several times over the days the light was active and each time the Alarm sounded after about 3 minutes of running and stopped the audiable sound after about a minute with the light remaining on. The weather had been quiet cool on both occasions....
Would like to hear from anyone with any information or the same problem
Regards Len Case

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-02, 06:08 AM
Admin Emeritus
Suggestions & Recommendations

Hello: Len

Why the service agent could not locate and correct the problem on the very first visit is beyond me. On the surface of the problem your describing, it seems to be a rather simple diagnostic test.

Remove an oil injection tube and verify if in fact the oil injection pump is functioning. If it is, chances are very good the pumping system is functioning correctly.

A further indepth test may be to test the flow rate at various engine speeds and the pressure, which should remain constant.

If these tests indicate all functions are working as intended, the sending unit is most likely the defective part. Replacing the sending unit should then resolve the problem.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, all or part of which may be available online.

The resident boat repair professional in this forum will have additional helpful information, suggestions and advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Boating
Forum Host & Moderator
Tom_Bart
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.

Old 06-22-02, 06:21 AM
Hi there,
The OMC alarm system is a tricky one and covers much more
than just the oiling system, as you know.
It does have to be serviced by an OMC dealer as there
are service bullitens pertaining to factory upgrades and
procedures. Only an authorized dealer can give you
the help you need.
Sorry i can't wave my magic wand and make it go away.
This time.....
Scott