steering cable

Old 06-26-02, 03:46 PM
Question steering cable

Seems our boat only turns in one direction. I believe that would mean a steering cable replacement. Anything special we need to know about doing this ourselves? Any hints to make it easier?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-02, 07:49 PM
erica,
Usually, if a steering cable freezes up you can't turn the steering wheel at all. Are you sure you have an actual closed cable system? If so, you can remove it from underneath the steering wheel hub and from the engine connection. You need to get the exact same length cable. They are not cheap, by the way.

fred

Old 06-27-02, 09:17 AM
Question attn: fewalt

Just from looking at pictures I would say it is a it is a rack steering system. It is not a hydraulic or rotary system. There is a rectangular box that fits up to the steering wheel. Back at the motor area, the end of the cable has a tube that goes thru the motor mounting assembly which in turn connects to what I would call linkage. We can manually move the motor in either direction but can only turn left with the steering wheel. I forgot to ask my son whether there is resistance when he tries to turn right or just that nothing happens.

If the cable was actually visable would you see that it was attached to the linkage in some way?

Any comments are more than welcome.