Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Boat repair

Visiting Guest

06-27-02, 09:28 AM   #1  
gem2
Boat repair

We have a 1970 era speedboat that has damaged plywood deck, rot in some areas, and its old seats were rotten--box type with a seat on front and back--I threw them out a couple years ago. We'd like to use the boat this summer, any advice on how to replace the deck, carpeting, and any plans for building seats would be appreciated. Seems like 3/4" marine plywood would be the right thing to start with...? And is there an outdoor carpet that is resistant to mildew, or just use the standard stuff at the home improvement store?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-02-02, 07:50 PM   #2  
gem2
Well, after a trip to West Marine and a look at their catalog, I have some answers and will try to find a book to research this for further questions to the forum. Guess I will first try to peel off the carpet from the decking and see if I can determine how much decking needs replaced. I can spot rotten wood siding, framing, etc. but haven't tried evaluating fiberglass encrusted or encapsulated wood before...is it common for the decking on a fiberglass boat to rot? A guy at the boat store said it is usually 6,000 or more to fiberglass in a deck...I don't know if that is what this needs, or if some marine plywood would do it. Appreciate any ideas out there.

Visiting Guest

07-03-02, 01:29 PM   #3  
telco tech
I replaced the floor in a 1963 model 14' "ski" boat. It was a freebie, if I hauled it away. Had 2' of pine needles and beer cans inside, and everywhere I stepped, I fell though. The fiberglass covered wood floor was rotten all over and the supports underneath (stringers they are called) crumbled under the fiberglass. I think it cost me a couple hundred bucks for all of the material, including carpet. I can tell you the complete story if you want, what it took, how I did it etc. I've had the thing 4 years now and it's a fun little boat.

Search this Thread