Lund boat rivits

Old 07-01-02, 11:48 AM
amigo68
Visiting Guest
Lund boat rivits

I have a 16' older Lund that all the rivits are loose in. What size and type do I need to replace them and where would I get them?
Is there something tough to coat the bottom with when I'm finished.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-02, 02:23 PM
Re: loose rivots

I great up on a small lake and my father rented boats. There are several thing you can try but here are some things we have done over the years. You can take 2 ball ping hammers and have someone hold one flush on one side and then take the other and hammer and give the rivot a couple good wacks from the other side.
Some of the things we have tried to "patch" with are different types of bonding compounds - JB Weld, Bondo, etc.. There are also some products that are supposedly made for this type of thing that you can pick up at boats shops - never really seemed to work any better than Bondo.

The problem is if you replace the rivots they will get loose again. If you patch them the patch will come off over time - especially if you do not have a floor in the boat because their is not much resistance when you put weight on the floor of the boat in the water. What made our situation even worse is that the boats were not trailered so they were pulled up on the bank or dock just causing more issues.

The very best thing we have found to work but by far the most expensive is to have the rivots welded. Someone else may have better suggestions but this is what we have used to get us through the past 20+ years. Good luck.

Old 07-04-02, 12:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have the same problem with my boat from time to time. I use the pall-peen hammer method. I also painted my boat with thick dark green enamel on the outside, with the boat flipped over. It allowed the paint to creep into the small spaces and seal over the whole thing. A great way to be worry-free is to have the inside of the boat coated with rhino-lining. That is the spray-in truck bed lining. It is thick, strong, and tough. cut a hole in the side of the benches large enough to spray under them too, or just fill them with urethane foam.