Rebuild or Buy New?

Old 07-14-02, 06:04 AM
Question Rebuild or Buy New?

Which is the better option? I'm fairly handy with tools and used to do all my own automotive repairs. I would have all machine work done to the motor and basically assemble the engine. Would I fare better here?

My boat motor is an 85 Force (outboard) and I'm wondering how much it would cost to rebuild vs buying new.

All thoughts appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-02, 05:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
In My Professional Opinion

Hello: J. Martin

If your mechanically inclined, have the tools, skills, time & resources to complete the project, than by all means "Do-It-Yourself."

Suggestions:

Buy the OEM service manual for that specific engine. Generic "one book covers all" repair manuals will not suffice.

Know the companies abilities & reputations for doing quality work to whom you job out those tasks you require to be done.

Outboards are not auto engines. They require a high level of perfection in attention to details and quality parts, since they run at constant high speeds & are required to accelerate quickly.

Buy only OEM parts. Attempting to "Save $$$" buying Non OEM parts may prove to be more expensive in the long run. There is no subsistute for quality, reliability, dependability and longivity.

And there you have it folks...."My Entire Two Cents Worth"...

Old 07-20-02, 01:38 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the input! I have an 85 HP Force outboard. A new one would cost thousands. I thought I might be able to rebuild it myself for half the cost of a new one. I did order an OEM service manual just so I can fix minor things for now. Damn engine mechanics in my area want $100 just to tell you you have an outboard.

Thanks again!

Old 07-21-02, 05:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: J. Martin

$100.00? That's about right.

Considering it's a B.O.A.T.

B.O.A.T. = Bail Out Another Thousand!.......haha....LOL!

Truth is, have to make the BUCKS while the season is ripe.
Off season, boat shops are like almost any other seasonal business.

Off season business is usually slower but the #@$$#@!% bills never stop arriving....