1983 Honda 185 3 Wheeler

Old 08-22-02, 04:05 PM
racer
Visiting Guest
1983 Honda 185 3 Wheeler

I am tunning up a 3 wheeler for a buddy and I would like to know what would make it backfire when you let off the throttle.Would it be a carb problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-05, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a go-kart and it backfires when you let off the throttle most engines do, it isn't a problem. it doesn't mean your carb is bad

Old 03-23-05, 02:01 PM
it means that your carb needs tuned a little better.

Old 04-02-05, 05:05 AM
KLOBRIEN
Visiting Guest
check for exhaust leak

you might look for an exhaust pipe leak. if its "sucking air" when you let off this can cause backfiring. sorta like my old v8 hot rod headers that never did seal very well and always seem to be backfiring when you let off. I think I heard that some old harley crossover pipes between the twin pipes are notorious for cracking & causing this same symptom. look for loose/missing screws that hold the pipe up to the cylinder, cracked/missing donut gasket, or possibly the pipe has rusted out. it could be a bent or cracked pipe which can probably be welded to repair it. ?? if its rust, you might consider looking for a used SuperTrapp type exhaust to replace the stock pipe.... ps: we also have an old 84 Honda 185 3 wheeler (the thing just keeps going & going...). good luck

Old 04-14-05, 07:26 PM
Blair Stack
Visiting Guest
You may want to scrap the three wheeler because they are death traps. It is best that the thing is put to rest before someone is killed on it! Seriously 4 wheels work and 2 handle, 3 is a joke!

Blair