ATV Starter Problem

Old 11-20-02, 08:35 PM
west1380
Visiting Guest
Polaris Magnum 425 Starter Problem

I have a 1996 Polaris Magnum 425 4 wheeler. When I first bought the machine, the starter didn't work very well, (turned slow) I just thought it needed a new battery. That was two years ago. Then I had the starter and solenoid repleaced by the local dealer. Now again, when I hit the starter button, all I get is a klicking noise from the starter relay by the battery. Also, I did install a new battery this past year.
I cleaned the cables and seem to get good voltage to the relay, but the starter won't ingage?

What could cause this so soon after a replacement? Is the solenoid sticking?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-02, 09:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked the voltage on the battery? Try checking it while trying to start the engine. If the voltage drops considerably, then the battery is low or internally shorted. ATV batteries are subjected to a lot of bouncing/jarring/abuse. They can be short lived. Are you getting power to the starter at all?

Old 11-20-02, 09:58 PM
It's also worth checking all the terminals, battery, starter, starter relay, etc. Corrosion on any of these can cause things to work fine except under heavy loading.

Old 11-22-02, 10:04 AM
mastertekTN
Visiting Guest
make sure the starter is not loose. I had a friend tell me his polaris starter was not working , he took thet starter off took it apart and the inside of the starter was soaked with oil , he cleaned all the oil out now it works fine.

Old 11-22-02, 04:52 PM
STIMPY21
Visiting Guest
The guys are on target, with all of their advice, Connections, loose mountings, not really good battery life and high $ repairs that don't seem to out last the sting of their price. We must be talking about ATV/boat/motorcycle starting systems again. See if you can read the data plate on the starter. Look for amps or either kw. Kw is amps times volts ( using 12), so you can find the amps by dividing the kw by volts(12 ). Get a clamp on DC amprobe, and with the battery fully charged, clamp the amp meter around the main wire to the starter. Then attempt a start . Compare the ammeter readings to the data plate readings. You should be at the data plate reading or a little below. If you are above what the data plate says then you have starter problems. Measure your battery voltage. Like Cheese said if you get more than a little voltage sag when you hit start, you've got battery issuses. Check your bolts to the starter, and any braided bonding straps that there may be between the motor/starter mounts and the battery. You could have a loose connection on the ground(-) side just as well as the pos(+) side of the circuit. A good starter place can check it out for you and some of them will do so for free if you take it out and bring it in, not as expensive as Motorcycle/atv shops. Draw a picture of the terminals and come up with a way to mark them some how so as not to get confused during re- installation. Then disconnect the battery and remove the starter, and take it to be checked out.Use your drawing to help you get it re- installed.
STIMPY21

Old 11-24-02, 03:18 PM
west1380
Visiting Guest
In checking the voltage, I have 12 volts at the end of the main wire when pushing the starter button. With a direct connect on the battery shows 12.5 volts.
When I connect the main wire to the starter post the voltage drops to zero while holding the starter button?
A direct short within the starter?

Old 11-24-02, 05:38 PM
STIMPY21
Visiting Guest
Either your battery is kaput or your starter winding is shorted, or the motor is locked up (doubt it). Are there any lights on the machine? If the battery has crapped out it may run the lights a while and then go out, but the load of the starter will kill it really quick, that seems to be what is happening. Check really closely for a loose connection, it can show the same symptoms, voltage with no load and when load is applied voltage drops to near nothing. I would bet on the battery first. Auto parts places usually will check them usually for free.
STIMPY21

Old 11-26-02, 12:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I understand you right, you have 12 volts at the starter cable while it is disconnected from the starter and the start button is pushed. Then, while pushing the start button, you touch the cable to the post on the starter right? then you get 0 volts? Does it spark violently when you touch the cable to the post on the starter while holding the button? If not, and your connections are all clean and tight, then you have a shorted cell in the battery. A bad cell will fool you because it often allows the battery to show a full charge on a voltmeter or charger, but as soon as a load is put on it, it drops to nothing.

Old 11-26-02, 02:20 PM
STIMPY21
Visiting Guest
That's exactly right, A 12v potential is there and at the first sighn of a significant current draw that cell goes open. When that one cell goes open in a 6 cell(12v) series connected battery that drops the voltage to zero. A clue is that your 12v dattery should almost always have more than 12volts. most automotive type charging systems charge to 13.46 volts. I have seen a crappy connection do basicaly the same thing. A key indicator is that when he touched the starter pole and hit the switch there was no sparking as that would have indicated heavy current draw, and at that point it would have looked more like a starter problem. Have that battery checked!
STIMPY21