cold start

Old 11-28-02, 12:50 PM
cold start

Regarding 2 stroke racing machines,Ive seen people start their bikes up and give it full throttle until they warm up.Is this hard on the engine and why?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-02, 02:20 AM
STIMPY21
Visiting Guest
Even though oil is immediatley there, that is something that I would never do.Warm her up a little first.
STIMPY21

Old 12-26-02, 04:26 PM
I would never run mine wide open like that. If you have a stock factory piston, it will warm up fairly quickly and you'll be ready to go. If you are using an aftermarket piston like a Wiseco or ProX among many others, they are a forged piston. Forged pistons will actually swell a little when they warm up. You would never want to screem one of them when they are cold.

Here are some techniques that I have used on different bikes: Turn on the fuel a minuite before you want to start, this makes sure that your bowl is full, put it in 1st and rock it back and forth squeezing in the clutch when you go backwards, this is supposed to pull in some fuel. Some riders turn on their fuel and lean the bike over to flood it a little first, this one never worked for me. With every bike that I have owned especially the 500s, it is majorly important to get that last 1/2 of a click on the top of the kickstarter. Roll the engine over until you get that starter as high as possible, it may mean the difference between fire in the hole and nothing. Bikes are like women, they all have different personalities and as hard as we try, it sometimes takes a while to figure them out!! LOL

Lynd
'90 CR500R
'01 CR125

Old 12-26-02, 11:43 PM
Here's another one for you guys that i could never understand.I used to have some KX'S and i would always forget to turn the pitcock valve off when i was finished.Now i would have people telling me i better break this habit,but they never said why.I never noticed the bike acting any differently. The only thing i can think of is it would not leak all your gas if it tipped.I s this the only reason?

Old 12-28-02, 08:10 PM
You have it right. I had a '92 KX125 that my son and I built. When the float level was correct, it was very close to running out the vent when it was leaned over. Sometimes putting it on the triangle stand would make it run over. If you didn't see it, you could drain the tank. Not only is it a waste of fuel, but a safety hazard if stored in a location with a flame nearby. I had an old RM250 a few years back and if you parked it with the petcock open, you might as well take out the plug after you tried to start it the next time and throw it as far as you could because it was shot! When I'm riding, I shut mine off when I stop for a break.........maybe just another anal habit LOL

HotRod